Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Concept: DIY laser cutter / engraver

I have had the concept for some time to turn my old A3 size Roland plotter into a laser cutter / etcher. I would invisage using a ~2-4W IR cmount as they are cheap power.

My first issue to tackle is the mounting and focussing.
There is already a power supply in place to the head as it contains a solenoid so if possible I'd like to put the diode on the moving head thus less optics and less loss. Issue then is I need some sort of mounting block that takes a cmount diode, has a surface I can TEC, and most importantly mounts a focusable lens.

Essentially what I'm after is an Aixiz for cmount.
Does such a thing exist or would I need to make one?

JECS

i think cmounts would normally be fiber coupled. havent seen any square aixiz modules, probably not the most common type of diode. if you havent bought the diode yet why not just buy one of the 2w from snoctony. you could always just cut the can off im pretty sure and stick it in an aixiz module (i think) this sort of thing sorta sounds like it would be more suited for fiber though. thats how i was planning on doing it when i get some money to burn

one option you have to modify a standard aixiz module is to just chop the threads and the part the diode sits in and then thread the outside of the module and make a custom holder for the cmount with something for the aixiz module to screw into. you might want to just make a new tube to hold the ring since you will lose quite a bit of length from the tube which could negatively affect your focusing

Switch

Is that black piece of plastic from the aixiz even going to withstand that kind of diode? :p

I don't see why everyone fusses with the larger Aixiz's, I only use the 6x15mm smaller non chromed ones.
Much easier to adjust the focus and there's no annoying plastic aperture!

And cmounts are not 'normally fibre coupled' there's one pumping every RPL!
Fiber coupled diodes are usually the bare diode chip on a proprietary mounting block.