Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Collimated, Focusing, and your experience

Greetings, from what I have read the purpose of a collimated lens is to organize light waves into a parallel fashion. Do these lenses also focus light waves into a finite point smaller than the lens itself given varying distances from the diode? If so I am curious to hear anyone's experience with this lens: aixiz.com StoreFront. From what I understand other sites such as this one: Laser Diode Mounting Kits, Heatsink and Collimating Lens Holder - Optima provide information regarding the focused beam size given a specific diode in test. Unfortunately there is a $100 min order and the lenses are designed for 780 nm wavelengths. I am looking for a high quality lens for use with a 1 watt 808 nm diode that can create a focused beam less than or equal to 100 microns (.1 mm). Sorry for all the text, I would be very appreciative of any guidance.

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked out the site and came across two lenses that look promising:

Mounted Precision Molded Aspheric Lenses

and

Mid Wave and Long Wave Infrared (IR) Aspheric Lenses *EDIT* I read the description of this lens more carefully and its range is 1 -14um, this does not encompass the 808nm waves I plan on using it for.

The top lens is considerably cheaper and is threaded which might be pretty handy if I can find a module with the same threads. I plan on giving their tech guys a call on Monday.

Anyone else out there with a different suggestion?

Last edited:
I think I may have found the answer to my first question, from Thor Labs:

"Single spherical elements are typically not capable of achieving such a small spot size. Spherical aberration is the limiting factor rather than the diffraction limit. Because the aspheric lenses are corrected to eliminate the spherical aberration, only diffraction limits the size of the focal spot."

PAGE