Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CO2 power supply

The big iron core neon transformers have 2 HV out right? Because all of them that I'm looking at have what looks like 2 HV out standoffs.
The newer style transformers only have one HV out right? Because if that is the case I can't go full wave with one of those. I don't think using 2, one for each side of the wave would work either because there would be no way to tell if they are pulsing at the same time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but half wave only has power 55% of the time. I want my laser to have power as much as possible so I would need full wave. So I don't think I can use the newer smaller neon transformers or the oil burner transformer because it doesn't push the current I need.

I'm thinking one 10kv 30mA iron core transformer through a 1 stage full wave cockroft-walton voltage multiplier. I only need one stage so that puts my voltage at 20kV and current at 15mA. But then I need a little more boost to kick the tube on, so I would need a extra stage, but not once the tube is on. That's what the parasitic part is for right? Is that just a resistor and a couple more diodes? I need a little more clarification on that step.

Well, do you think I'm on the right path so far? I think I almost have this figured out! :D

Hey

The Nst have 2 Hv yes but , if it is rated for say 12kv , it will be 6kv from one terminal to center tap/case and same for othere terminal , but it will be 12kv between the to Hv terminals .

Hey

The Nst have 2 Hv yes but , if it is rated for say 12kv , it will be 6kv from one terminal to center tap/case and same for othere terminal , but it will be 12kv between the to Hv terminals .

Oh alright, I don't know if this would work or not then. If they are 12kv across both then would it work hooking one half of the wave to each HV terminal?

Lets say I use a 12kv transformer and hook both HV terminals to the full wave multiplier, It should still have 24kv out, right? (being 12k doubled) or would it only have 12k out (being 2 6k doubled)

A neon sign transformer is AC out, right? I was assuming it is because of the 60hz frequency.

Oh alright, I don't know if this would work or not then. If they are 12kv across both then would it work hooking one half of the wave to each HV terminal?

Lets say I use a 12kv transformer and hook both HV terminals to the full wave multiplier, It should still have 24kv out, right? (being 12k doubled) or would it only have 12k out (being 2 6k doubled)

A neon sign transformer is AC out, right? I was assuming it is because of the 60hz frequency.

12kv doubled is 24kv, yes...at HALF THE CURRENT.

Power is always the same.10,000 volts @ 20ma = 200 watts.
If it is center tapped 5000-0-5000 you can get 5000 volts @ 40 ma DC with 2 diodes and a capacitor.Cool eh?
You should read up on how transformers work, it is actually pretty straightforward as well as empowering.
If I could type as well as I can speak, It would be easier!

PM me if you are in the US.I will give you my phone#.
I think I can help.