Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Circuit protection for UV diode

Hi,

First post here so please be gentle. I've read the sticky's and searched the forum, got some great info but can't find anything specific.

I have a PHR-805 diode, 405nm, in a TO18 package. Along with a 'Aixiz' module housing, which came my first UV laser that has long since departed (over current, ESD who knows). Originally it just had two wires coming form it, directly soldered to the laser diode - not ideal.

So, whilst replacing the diode with the PSR, I thought about putting in a small circuit board in there, with some form of protection circuit. I realise there are driver circuits available that can fit, but for the sake of versatility, I wish to be able to plug this laser in to one of my own drivers - be they buck, boost, battery, or DC driven.

However, given how fragile these are (killed two already!), I need a small circuit that'll do a fair job of protecting the diode whilst its not plugged into anything - but not a driver circuit per se. As well as ESD, on the off chance I get over-zealous with drive current, perhaps some kind of small basic current limiter would be good as well. The threshold of which doesn't need to be 'dead on' accurate, but I could set it below the 120mA max. rated for these diodes.

I'm thinking, in parallel with the diode terminals, a TVS diode, reverse shottky for reverse polarity protection (the TVS wil do that as well..), a small ceramic cap, and a small active circuit that perhaps should shunt the diodes terminals in case of over current and/or over voltage. Should the shunt circuit 'blow' because of over current, it should short circuit the lasers terminals. Not ideal, but its easier/cheaper to replace a transistor than it is to replace the laser.

Of course, the 'active circuit' is kind of optional, nothing is easier than a small but of stripboard, with devices in parallel with the diode, and perhaps a series diode for good measure.

As you can see, because it won't always be directly soldered to a driver circuit, its a bit different. As you guys seem to know much more about laser diodes than I do, thought I'd come here to ask advice.

Btw, I do electornics, and can deal with buck/boost, constant current power supplies, and analogue/digital stuff. But you have much more experience than myself.

Cheers,

BuriedCode.

A 0.1uF ceramic cap should be all you need for ESD protection. The low ESR on those should protect the diode from any ESD event. I'd tie that directly to the leads coming from the module. Then after the cap i'd just throw in a standard diode such as a 1n4001 and you should be all set to go. Everything else such as current limiting...ect i'd do at the driver end. Nothing overly fancy is necessarily needed for basic diode protection.

Its surprising that you have killed 2 already. I'd ensure that you got the polarity correct for the particular diode that your using and that your staying well below the recommended current max for that diode as well as ensuring proper heatsinking. Also, sounds like you might got access to an oscilloscope. Make sure you verify that the driver that your using is indeed outputting the proper current and that your driver doesn't have any turn-on transients.

Well... thats all I could think of off the top of my head. Do all that and your diode should last awhile. :)

Last edited: