Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Chinese Laser Taking 5 Amp?

AquaticHarpy

I recently acquired a failed laser from a supposed 20W engraver, I took my bench and used it to directly power the diode and it worked, pulled amperage from very low voltage and had a bit of current draw fluctuation, but it worked. Nowhere near as powerful as my 1.5w purple, but it burnt wood a little, the problem is though, it's a massive hot diode, at 2.1A I got a large increase in brightness and the little module let me take it to 5Amps without giving up. Anybody know what's up with this? It has a lense that needs manually adjusted and a huge diode, if anybody knows anything about this diode, lemme know!

Attachments

• IMG_20200903_125855~2.jpg
    IMG_20200903_125855~2.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 12

20W input maybe. I don't see any electronics, and by your experimentation we have to conclude that's a bare diode. If it's like the other 6-7W diodes, you should keep it somewhere closer to 4A, but there's of course a trade-off between power and life-span.

AquaticHarpy

Bare diode, but this time it's in a heatsink, with a fan! I'll keep a 4A max on it for future tests, but it's definitely lacking the power I feel it should have.

Chinese makers had been using the nubm08 de-canned blue emitting Gballs which fail much faster without the can/backfill of dry nitrogen or proprietary inert gas as airborne particulate burns onto the facet at the p/n junction and damages the coating which then lets moisture get in resulting in fractures......as the facet gets blocked/damaged you see more waste heat and less light output, this is not an issue for open can red/ir.......it's to do with the blue emitting substrate being hygroscopic from what I have read.