Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheapest way to get some rare wavelengths?

diachi

Gonna jack this thread for a sec, sorry.

So will a JDSU 2214 head work with a 2211 PSU? Because there are tons of 2214 heads on eBay but all the 2214 PSUs I can find require 230VAC, where the 2211s only require 110VAC, but it's difficult to find 2211 ML heads.

I have been reluctant to buy 2214 heads because I, like thestug, only have access to 110VAC.

Yes, should do just fine. Both heads use the same tube (2211-25SLE is the same tube as 2214-25SLE for example) and the same connectors (Square white connector, round amphenol). Form factor is the only difference as far as I'm aware. They may come with a 20A or even 30A power connector - you can change it out to a 15A.

Edit: I think the correct model for the PSU is 2114 or 2111 not 22xx - Could be wrong there. I may have that the wrong way round... There are various models - just look for the connectors and the input voltage you need.

Last edited:

Yes, should do just fine. Both heads use the same tube (2211-25SLE is the same tube as 2214-25SLE for example) and the same connectors (Square white connector, round amphenol). Form factor is the only difference as far as I'm aware. They may come with a 20A or even 30A power connector - you can change it out to a 15A.

Edit: I think the correct model for the PSU is 2114 or 2111 not 22xx - Could be wrong there. I may have that the wrong way round... There are various models - just look for the connectors and the input voltage you need.

Thanks! Any idea why they add higher voltage/amperage connectors if they don't need them? is it just in case someone attaches one of the 45-65mw tubes to a 4SL PSU?

And yes, the proper model number for the PSU is 21xx, not 22xx. I was in a hurry. :p

The newer power supplies, and most of what you'll find on eBay are switch mode, so relatively efficient and lightweight compared to a linear equivalent.

Sam's laser FAQ has a bunch of schematics for a linear Argon laser power supply. Haven't tried any of them so I don't know how good they are. It's linear though, so expect it to be heavy and not very efficient. So yes, you certainly could build one with a bit of experience.

I know the variac / bridge rectifier / capacitor and a old heater will get the tube to lase : P . ( head had ignitor in it )

very very not recommended for actual running though ...

Last edited:

diachi

Thanks! Any idea why they add higher voltage/amperage connectors if they don't need them? is it just in case someone attaches one of the 45-65mw tubes to a 4SL PSU?

And yes, the proper model number for the PSU is 21xx, not 22xx. I was in a hurry. :p

The tubes all have the same current ratings regardless of power output so it's not that. The PSUs are generally rated at 17A @ 110VAC so they can't really stick a 15A plug on it. I think I'm getting the 30A twistlock confused with the 20A version, so yes, likely either a 20A NEMA plug or a 20A twistlock is what they'll come with. Ideally you'd leave that on there and use it with a 20A outlet but it'll work just fine with a 15A NEMA on a 15A outlet.

I know the variac / bridge rectifier / capacitor and a old heater will get the tube to lase : P . ( head had ignitor in it )

very very not recommended for actual running though ...

Certainly not ideal, but it does the job for testing purposes right? :D