Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap laser modules

Plan B

Hi all,

This is my first post in quite some time and I'm looking for a little help on a project of mine.

I'm working on building a laser "orb" tool for the purpose of light painting. When done, I hope to have a red (650-660mW), green (532mW) and UV (405mW) laser, and some RGB LED strip all selectable and controllable via a 12v digital RGB controller.

These lasers do not need to be very bright. In fact it's a case of "the dimmer the better" almost. I would however like all three to have fairly relative dot brightness. According to Chroma 5mW of 532nm and 20mW of 655nm and 405nm would get me pretty close to white, but I'm wondering if they would have the same dot brightness?

I currently have no low mW green lasers around here to play with, but I'm think something 1 to 5 mW would work. I do have a few "cat toy" 1-5mW reds, but I think they will be a little dim when compared to any green I get. I also have a "5mW" eBay 405nm pen I can tear apart, but I'm betting it really puts out over 50mW. It might almost be to bright.

I can use the lasers I have on hand, but if there are cheap modules out there that would match brightness better, I'd prefer to go that route.

I'm thinking modules would be the best bet for durability and ease of mounting into the tool. I'd also like to not have to mess around looking for drivers, diodes, heat sinks, ect. It would be great if all three came in the same style housing/package. The controller I'll be using puts out 12v and I have voltage regulators for 3v and 5v.

So, could you guys please advise on what power of modules I should use for relative dot brightness and point me to a decent place that sells them? Cheap is a must and fast would be a plus. I'm in Canada and would prefer to one stop shop.

Thanks a pile for any and all help with this.

Cheers,
Chris.

Here's a couple of the laser light painting photos I've taken.

TuhOz

Nice photos! :beer:

Ehm, I think
5mW green
20mW red
30-50mW violet

Plan B

Thanks TuhOz! Glad you like the pictures.

Ya, I kinda figured those powers would get me in the ball park, although I did think maybe a little less power on the 405nm. What I need now is a reputable store where I can buy all three for fairly cheap. Would you, or anyone else for that matter, know of a place?

Just FYI. Chroma's output *is* for the dot.. Not the beam.. You can mix for a white dot. Or a white beam. But it's not possible to get both at the same time. At least not the same shade of white anyway. If you mix for a white dot, the beam will have a purplish tinge using 405. If you mix for a white beam, the dot will be a 'warm' white. Leaning towards the red.

Plan B

Good to know Fox, thanks for the heads up. I'm not going to be combining the beams of these lasers. I just figured Chroma would get me close in terms of individual dot brightness. I'm hoping the three lasers used to make a white dot would all have about the same dot brightness when separated.

I'm still hunting for a good store to buy these at. Does anyone have any suggestions? Might it be easier and cheaper to tear apart pens? I'm sure they probably won't be easier to mount. A little research here and I discovered the 405nm pens a have on hand are a newer version that are quite tricky to get apart.

Anyway, thanks again to all.

Cheers,
Chris