Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap eye safety for ~650nm

geek

MarioMaster said:
i also remember someone saying the zonestealth goggles are crap, but i suppose it's better than nothing

Compare the pictures from the zonestealth page to the group buy red goggles, granted the pictures aren't great, but they really do look like the same thing.

chido

They do look the same and that was one reason why a lot of people thought the goggles from the GB were crap until member02 got them tested.

geek

chido said:
They do look the same and that was one reason why a lot of people thought the goggles from the GB were crap until member02 got them tested.

Well then I guess there is still hope.

geek

I haven't tested the e-bay glasses with a photo diode yet, but just from viewing the beam through them I'm fairly impressed. They came in a decent case with a cleaning cloth included. If I shine my laser at a white wall I can barely see the beam. I was less than a foot away from the match head when lighting some white matches, and all I could see was a small glow. The laser I was viewing was an MXDL mod with an open can, 420mA and a Meredith glass lens.

chido

Ok, could you post a pic of how the dot looks like with and without the goggles?
Also, how dark are they, do your pupils dilate a lot when you have them on or are the goggles pretty clear?

geek

chido said:
Ok, could you post a pic of how the dot looks like with and without the goggles?
Also, how dark are they, do your pupils dilate a lot when you have them on or are the goggles pretty clear?

I forgot my camera, but I'll try and take a couple pictures when I get home.

For what it's worth, I was playing around with them a bit and they appear to block less light than my sunglasses. I took a surefire flashlight (a friend of mine measured the spectrum this particular LED emits and it is very, very close to the photoptic response of the human eye) and shined it through my polarized sunglasses and then through the goggles. The spot on the wall appeared noticeable brighter through the goggles than through the sunglasses. The lenses in the sunglasses are supposed to have 12% visual light transmittance (VLT). If I have time I'll play around with the photo diode and try to get a less subjective comparison.