Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap Blu-Ray diode arrays

S

SenKat

Ya - I actually found one seller for $69.00 shipped - and ended up getting two from Psuedo for around the same price...I much rather would work with someone I know and trust, rather than go for an unknown - know what I mean ? I am sure they are good, and all - just happier to buy from a known good source :p

Daedal

$69 shipped? Where was that? Been looking... I'm on my third from SamSam! DAMN! These diodes are super sensitive!!! It's annoying! I had one working for a couple days then I made the mistake of disconnecting the battery... when i connected it back the static from reconnecting it fried it! IT IS SUCH A BUMMER!! I do absolutely love the color of these diodes! Wish I could buy them for as cheap as Sony buys them.. $8 a pop... :(

Damn, the static from just reconnecting the battery fried it???  :eek: damn, they really dont need much to fry do they?? There really should be a way to protect it from doing that, any ideas anyone??

edit: Heh heh BTW, I know I'm not opening up my PS3 if a diode fries on me :p

Daedal

Well... it's really annoying given that even though the circuit controls every aspect of the power going into the diode, and it still gets fried so easily! This thing is unbelievable. I was using a filtered LM317 circuit similar to the one at http://www.fineartradiography.com/hobbies/lasers/blu-ray/index.html

Well... if anyone has a better circuit design than that, please let me know. I am very desperate at this point. Oh, and by the way... IT IS AN AMAZING COLOR! It's purple, but reflects blue, and on different things can glow any color on the spectrum! I really want one, and shall keep trying until I finally get a working one! :D

Thanks;
DDL

heruur

Hello. I too noted that the diodes are very static sensitive, a little as 15V the wrong way damages them. The best way to protect them is with a simple diode across the LD reverse polarity to the LD and a RC circuit near the diode. Use a CERAMIC .1 to 1uF capacitor across the diode's power leads, AFTER THE REGULATOR CIRCUIT and a resistor of about 10 ohm's in series with the LD after the capacitor :) Mount em' close as you can get to the LD to minimize inductance, Tantalums aren't gonna cut it for the VLD's i'm afraid!

Daedal

Why would you say that Tant. Caps. not work? :-/ :-?

Thanx;
DDL

chimo

You should use both. Ceramic will pass (shunt) the high frequency spikes faster, while the tantalum has a larger capacity. If you are trying to protect the LD from voltage spikes, a ceramic cap is more appropriate. If you are trying to smooth power supply ripple, an electrolytic is more appropriate.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/caps/caps.html

Daedal said:
Why would you say that Tant. Caps. not work?  :-/ :-?

Thanx;
DDL