Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CD-R or DVD questions

I see a lot of mention of people getting diodes out of these devices. I have lots of old putters around, what could I expect to find in them and how would I use them. If there is a good thread on this, I'd gladly read through it..

Thanks,
ts

IIRC CDs use IR (Infrared - invisible) lasers, DVDs use 650nm Red lasers. The max output power of the diodes contained within is usually dependant on the max burn speed of the drive.

*sigh* Do yourself a favor and search around the forum on how to build a laser before using KipKay's videos as a guide. There are countless amounts of useful information within threads. I'll give the man credit for bringing a long of new members to the forums on a regular basis, but he doesn't have the best practices. You NEED a laser driver. Many of his videos show no use of a driver. Also, don't buy from the places he recommends. Buy from forum member's sites such as Modwerx.com or CajunLasers.com, they're very good people with great prices and service.

If you are serious about building a red laser, I'd suggest watching styropyro on YouTube. He is much more knowledgeable than Kipkay when it comes to building lasers. He also makes much better video tutorials.

You have't done anything wrong, but just do yourself a favor before wasting time/money in Kipkay's projects. Also, safety is not an option... its a REQUIREMENT. Get some goggles and be safe.

Last edited: