Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

cant find my answer!

I've been looking for a distinct answer, but I just can't seem to find it.

Duty cycles.

I've come to think that this is an important thing to know, but maybe I'm wrong. I want to know what duty cycle on a laser is. A link would be best, but if anyone could explain it better that would be okay too!

I'm new to the laser world, but not new to electronic hobbies. So I have definitely looked and didn't want to post a question, but I just can't seem to find my answer. I'm trying to learn all I can before purchasing, so this is only one of my still many questions, heh.

Thanks crew!

Do you mean for specific units or what is a duty cycle?

Its how long on the unit can run safely due to heat, and how long it needs to cool

usually posted ###on/###off

also, nice user name, lol

Last edited:

Stin

To put it simply: A laser duty cycle is how long you should keep it on and then off before turning it back on. This way it doesn't get too hot and possibly wreck your laser.

EX: 1 min duty cycle is 1 minute on and 1 minute off.

Hope that helps!

Ah, I thought duty cycle was how the laser outputs light, not the time it can run safely.

Don't know what I was trying to learn then. :x Something about pulsing and continuous run time. Erg, well thanks for answering what I thought I wanted to know, lol.