Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can i use rechargeables?

Hello! i've seen a few threads but never signed up but im just wondering something. Im most certain you guys will know the answer (i couldnt find it)

I got a DX true 5mW green laser and love it. It was fun (responsibly) but the factory batteries are almost dead. I heard that you should use alkalines and brand names are better (tried some cheap ones and it was dim). I was wondering could i use rechargeable AAA's with it ? I know that alkalines have a higher voltage ( i think it is) than rechargeables but it will get costly over a while using throwaways. Are there rechargeables that i can use with it?

Thank you, your advice.

P.S i dont plan on making it a full hobby just maybe a green or 2 and possibly a "purple-blueish" one. And maybe in the future when tech gets better a blue when they're more affordable

will i notice a difference between brightness or the beam (when i can see it in the dark or a fairly lit room)

With a 5mW the difference between disposable and rechargeable should be trivial, at higher powers you'll get more power out of the better disposables, while the rechargeables will provide slightly less power but save quite a bit of cash in the long run. So yes, rechargeables should be just fine in your case, but if you get into higher powered pens then you'll get more burning time from higher end disposables. :)

Also, welcome to LPF, remember to use the search bar and respect your fellow forumites. :D

zMd113

There's no difference in brightness and there's very little difference burning power. But since you have a 5mW you won't be doing any burning anyway.

Thank you very much! brand batteries can get costly and now i know that i can use rechargeables without it causing harm or performance difference. I tried searching but couldnt quite find what i was looking for. Yea im not really interested in burning just the light and beam, also cool effects. Its fun to play around with (responsibly). I would never point it at an aircraft.( i want to be a heli pilot someday)

zMd113

Well good luck to you on trying to become a helicopter pilot! Enjoy the laser too!

No problem, and especially with 532nm green, as long as you're safe, MOAR POWERR is always better. :D Have fun!