Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can i make blue laser from dvd burner laser?

uria

I have one question.
Can i make blue laser from dvd burner laser?
I want to make burner laser like kipkay in his movie on metacafe , but in blue color or green.

Thanks

Ashton

No. DVD players use RED lasers

The only way to make a blue is DPSS which involves a high-powered IR and special crystals to "convert" the IR (double the frequency) into blue. and these are EXPENSIVE and VERY RARE

S

SenKat

Uria - take a peek through the experiments and mods section of the forum - do NOT do the Kipkay mod, as you wil end up with wasted money, and frustration :( It is MUCH safer to make a red burning laser (Or even a blu-ray laser) by using a driver - thus prolonging the life of the diode.

Ashton

OT, but is there a reason to sodder the diode directly to the driver vs to wires and the the wores to the driver? I see the former 99% of the time in pointers, but here everyone says to use wires. Wont this lower the voltage? (or is it amterage...? I know one of them drops the longer the cable connection is...)

S

SenKat

It may drop the voltage or current a little tiny amount, but really the only benefit to doing that is to avoid the extra heat while working near the diode with the soldering iron, IMO.