Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can flashlight Light be compressed into a beam?

is it possible to take the light from a flashlight, and shine it thru different lenses and stuff...whatever is needed... and make it a compressed laser beam?
doesnt seem possible, but at the same time, it seems like it could be.

Chad

Re: Can flashlight Light be compressed into a beam

No.

There are tactical focused flashlights, which can get as low as 6mRad. those are crazy expensive, though, last time I checked.

Chad

no, there are some that are focused even better than that... it took a long while to find them though... :-/
I'll look again .

Switch

Anyway, light from a LED or a bulb is not coherent and you will never be able to collimate it as well as a laser beam.

I reckon you could focus it to get burning power but i would not be anywhere near as focussed as a laser

JLSE

It would be an interesting experiment to use an assortment of expanding, and collimating optics to see how good you could get it.

It may look something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNHGiq1eGDA

Ace82

I once tried this when I was younger: I used a telescope which was about as long as a baseball bat and as wide as a basketball. I used a series of green Christmas lights (before there were mass produced led's) and placed them where your eye is supposed to go for viewing. The light came out where the sky is supposed to go in. It kinda worked, seemed like a laser. The "dot" was as big as 1" point blank and about 1 1/2" at 50'! BUT, it was super low intensity (probably 0.05mW), ran off of 12V and was as big as a bazooka! In other words, NO. ;D

L

likewhat

lenses focus a laser beam to only one point in space, if you think about that in reverse you cant take a lens and collimate a source that extends past that point. Said in another way you cant collimate an extended source, it has to be a point source.

If you have a very bright light that passes through a pinhole it might be possible to collimate the output of the pinhole. but it would only work for one color, the rest of the colors wouldnt be collimated

You can focus a flashlight down to a very small spot to burn stuff, but the divergance of it would be horrible.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Wicked should probably make a lense that works with the Torch, with say 20cm focal length? That'd be cool :cool: