Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can a multimeter measure current directly @ the diode/testload?

So i recently found out my multimeter (analog) does not measure mV... not too helpful for using my homemade test load.
However it does measure mA with a 0-50 and 0-250 range.

Can I measure mA directly across the test load (or laser diode) terminals?
Would i have to measure the mA across the 1ohm resistor?
I don't think it would matter where I measure it but I thought I would ask to be safe.

If I can measure mA directly... I may use the test load to get my driver set "close" to desired output and fine tune it once it's connected to the actual LD.

Put the test meter directly in place of the 1 ohm resistor (removing the resistor - put the meter in series with the load) and it will show the current.

Put the test meter directly in place of the 1 ohm resistor (removing the resistor - put the meter in series with the load) and it will show the current.
Instead of pulling the resistors off of my board can I just put the multimeter in series with the negative test driver input
Run the current through the multimeter into the unmodified test load?

I used 4X 1ohm 1w resistors (2X twin parallel resistors in series totaling 1ohm) so they can handle more power.
I'd rather not have to pull all of them off. :yabbem:

You mentioned your meter only goes to 250ma, so don't do that unless your actually running it below 250ma. Really though, you need a cheap meter that reads mV, or at least can measure more then 250ma.

For now I'm only working with a AW210 (4X bluray) so the MA will only be set to ~170-175.
It's an old radioshack multimeter I've had just about forever. Mainly just to work on my car and other stuff so for that it's fine.

I might ask someone at work if we have a nice fluke that could be borrowed...

thread jack sortof - do they make a DC clamp ammeter?

I doubt it, and definitely not at the high accuracy you'd need for a laser. The closest thing we have to a "nonintrusive" measurement is a shunt resistor.

boscoj

why is it they can make an AC one, more amps/cheaper device? must be the waveform or something . . .

hey Charlie ! I did my A levels in England . . . have family in Devon !!

I doubt it, and definitely not at the high accuracy you'd need for a laser. The closest thing we have to a "nonintrusive" measurement is a shunt resistor.

Last edited:
why is it they can make an AC one, more amps/cheaper device? must be the waveform or something . . .

hey Charlie ! I did my A levels in England . . . have family in Devon !!

Simple current clamps use the transformer/motor effect to measure, which has to take a "rotating"/shifting field to work properly. Hall Effect sensors use a different principle to measure current, and are more expensive but can measure DC (and lower currents) too.

I just did GCSEs, now moving onto the A-levels. How did you find them?

I don't think hall sensors can "measure"... I believe they either "on" or "off".
At least that's how I've always seen them used... on/off sensors.

Just buy a dmm. I have a cheap used "craftsman" brand one from the local surplus electronics store for $10. Sure, I did have to calibrate it myself, but it's better than the analog radioshack multimeter I had before.

If you work with electronics, you just might want to save up for a better one. This one works in a pinch, though, for my hobby-grade electronics projects.

I don't think hall sensors can "measure"... I believe they either "on" or "off".
At least that's how I've always seen them used... on/off sensors.

I know for a fact that hall sensors can measure currents.

Hall effect sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia said:
Electricity carried through a conductor will produce a magnetic field that varies with current, and a Hall sensor can be used to measure the current without interrupting the circuit. Typically, the sensor is integrated with a wound core or permanent magnet that surrounds the conductor to be measured.
Frequently, a Hall sensor is combined with circuitry that allows the device to act in a digital (on/off) mode, and may be called a switch in this configuration.