Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Calculate the expansion of a laser beam

I have do some trigonometric calculation, to calculate the expansion of a laser beam, knowing the distance of the "target".
I'm not very good in math, then if I have done any error, please let me know :)
Sorry for the very bad schematic beam, I have drawn it very large to simplify the read.
I have divided the beam in three parts: two equals triangle and a little straight rectangle, that is the ideal beam.
The expansion is the summation of those three parts at the end, when the beam hit the target.
See the pic.

Gregorio

Attachments

• Schematic_laser_beam.jpg
    Schematic_laser_beam.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 360

My recommendation is to leave the results in radians, do not convert to degrees. I'll tell you a little secret about mathematics and science nobody uses degrees it's all radians. Do not convert to degrees when taking your measurements either, use a tangent form.

FrothyChimp said:
My recommendation is to leave the results in radians, do not convert to degrees. I'll tell you a little secret about mathematics and science nobody uses degrees it's all radians. Do not convert to degrees when taking your measurements either, use a tangent form.

Thanks, I have used degrees, because at school, with trigonometric function, we use only degrees, not radians. I use radians only in mechanic.

Once you get into calculus the degree will go the way of the dodo. You will encounter it in physics problems but degrees will disappear quite quickly.