Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying New Laser :)

3eb

Hi guys, I've been searching the internet for about 2 hours, fascinated at what I had found out about these green lasers. I began searching because I am taking astronomy this semester, but now my curiosity has taken over!

I did come across dealextreme, and learned a lot of cool stuff.

Anyways, you all seem to know what you're talking about around here so i'll just get to the point- What laser would you recommend for under 50-60 dollars that is powerful and good quality.

My main concerns are making it through customs, getting the best value, and most appropriate batteries/accessories for the laser I choose.

I was looking at that UltraFire 90mw, but it is sold out on DX. The True 30mw seems to be a popular choice as well.

Thanks a ton guys, can't wait to see what you have you say :)

Lorgar

I ordered the 30mW romisen Green from DX SQU# 10557

Ordered on Jan 2 shipped jan 4 should have it mid next week going to post a review when i get it.

Other that DX your not really going to get any power for $50-60 .
While they are not the highest quality if you take care of them they genraly last a while.
And you could get 2 of these in your budget

The true 30 from DX would be your best choice. The DX lasers come with bad IR filters-but if you are using it for star pointing it really makes no difference. They are cheap, and the true 30 has gotten relatively good reviews. It takes a while to ship-but then again its free shipping.

You dont want anything REALLY powerful for star pointing. The HIGHEST i would go is the 30mW. Anything above it just looks like a giant lightsaber and will take away from the stars..........

I'd use NiMh rechargeable batteries simply for cost effectiveness.

Anyways, good luck

3eb

I live in the United States (Ohio). Initially I was looking just for star pointing, but now I want to experiment and pop balloons, light cigars, etc. But I'm pretty sure that will take a pretty strong laser.

It appears that my best bet under 60 bucks would be for a cheap one on DX. Maybe the ultrafire 90mw when it comes back in stock.

Also, I am unfamiliar with the IR filters and how they are obtained and used, but I did read that the ones from DX don't have an IR filter or they are not effective.

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

For star pointing I too recommend the DX True 30. I have used it for that and its great!

For burning / experimenting, go buy a Sony laser diode from Stonetek and read up in Experiments and Mods for how to build your own high powered red laser.
You can easily end up with one about 150-185mW which will do matches and balloons, cigars I don't know, for about $35.
Welcome to the forums!

Yeah-you wont get a pre-assembled anything for 60 bucks shipped. If you are its likely crap. 60 will get you something nice, but nothing that will light stuff on fire.

If you want that feeling, go with a well made laser. Dishing out a lot of cash to find out your laser is underpowered is a horrible feeling. Not to mention-getting your eyes torn apart by IR for years isnt much fun either.

If i was you, id go for the 30mW True Newish from DX first. Try it out. If you want to stick with lasers, invest in a nie NOVA laser.

BlueFusion said:
For star pointing I too recommend the DX True 30. I have used it for that and its great!

For burning / experimenting, go buy a Sony laser diode from Stonetek and read up in Experiments and Mods for how to build your own high powered red laser.
You can easily end up with one about 150-185mW which will do matches and balloons, cigars I don't know, for about $35.
Welcome to the forums!

SenKat should put together kits containing a diode inside aixiz module, components for a driverboard, a driverboard PCB, some systematics, and optionally a mini mag flashlight housing, for beginners wanting to put something together. This way, everything you need is right there ready to go (Besides batteries).

Just a suggestion.