Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buy a new green laser with a 50 miles+ beam

beamer

Hello, i'm a beginner on this forum and would like to buy a portable a green laser pointer.
Please can anyone suggest me a pointer that has a 50 miles(+) beam :). I would like to go for
a quality product.

beamer

If a X-65 for example gives a beam of 50 miles, can anyone give me a indication
how many miles a X-85 reach ? What is an approximately linearity of mW and distance ?

The Q-65 & X-85 looks good. Are they protected for heat. How long can i use it continuously?
Please give me any advise.. :D

Rhith

Well an x-85 claims to have about a 35+ mile range. you won't really be able to see that far anyways haha. if you're worried about ti not reaching for star pointing. DONT. i have a 115mW and it's a beast and a half.
As for time it can be ran, they have all the stats on their page, so just check that out

and just wow, NL updated their homepage!

beamer said:
If a X-65 for example gives a beam of 50 miles, can anyone give me a indication
how many miles a X-85 reach ? What is an approximately linearity of mW and distance ?

The Q-65 & X-85 looks good. Are they protected for heat. How long can i use it continuously?
Please give me any advise.. :D
It totally depends on ddivergence and atmospheric conditions. An X65 with 0mrad divergence and 0% humidity in the air will go for a LONG way. But on a foggy night it won't go near as far because of all of the particles ditorting the beam. And in reality the beam does go on forever cause it's light.

Rhith

I actually bought mine from Pseudo. But it's the same as getting an X105 from Nova Lasers.
It's the CNI laser. They sell them at NovaLasers, StarPhaser, DragonLaser, ect. but the companies are the ones that test and ship them out and Nova Lasers seems to be the best and you will get an OVER specification laser from them. I have not heard a story where one has been under or at the specification. And if it is, they are very good about returning to get a new one ASAP.

Rhith

Though my camera isn't that great, this is what it looks like when you point it into the sky at night.
100_3419.jpg

Rhith said:
I actually bought mine from Pseudo. But it's the same as getting an X105 from Nova Lasers.
It's the CNI laser. They sell them at NovaLasers, StarPhaser, DragonLaser, ect. but the companies are the ones that test and ship them out and Nova Lasers seems to be the best and you will get an OVER specification laser from them. I have not heard a story where one has been under or at the specification. And if it is, they are very good about returning to get a new one ASAP.
I second that. My X105 averages 113.5mW which I would consider EASILY overspec for something marked 105mW. Plus, they sent me a free diffraction grating!

Edit: Typo! It averages 113.5mW not 133.5mW

beamer

I think the X105 is an appreciable price. When i see the difference in price with the
X-125 than is this rediculous!! Almost 130 USD more for 20mW :-/

beamer

Is the X-105 stable and what if the laserdiode becomes too hot.
Is it protected for overheating ? How far can the X-105 reach in ideal
circumstances ?

Rhith

In idea conditions an X105 can reach as far as the curvature of the earth can allow. But really, easily as far as the eye can see though so you won't have issues. As for heat, just don't use it so it gets hot. If you feel it start to get warm just stop for a while. And the price jump is because the quality of the crystal the use to turn it into green light varies and finding one efficient enough to produce a 125mW+ laser is rare and it boosts the cost significantly.

beamer said:
I think the X105 is an appreciable price. When i see the difference in price with the
X-125 than is this rediculous!! Almost 130 USD more for 20mW :-/
well the thing is, they don't manufacture say, a load of 105mW lasers, and a load af 125s, they just manufacture a bunch of lasers and what they output when complete is pretty random... nova etc will then test them and sell them depending on what category they fall into. 125s are very rare, which means they have a much higher price, a lot like computer CPUs (which i believe are also kind of random in terms of speed), where one or two steps below top spec is a reasonable price, but the very top spec CPUs are hideously expensive for an extra 200Mhz or so because they're the real rare ones.