Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning Magnesium

Razako

Well, the thermal conductivity in conjunction with the large mass and very high ignition temperature should make it relatively fire resistant.
Yeah, unless he lights a can of thermite on top of the mg case he shouldn't have a problem. You could probably douse the truck in gasoline, light it and the mg still wouldn't burn.

Burning Mg produces a lot of bright light - visible light. BUT, that's not the problem. Burning Mg also produces bright UV light which you cannot see. It is this UV light that can damage your retina. It's just like staring at the sun.

When the burning Mg is shielded so that students can't see the actual burning metal, then it is much safer.

Someone mentioned flashbulbs. The light emitted is so fast that there is little exposure to UV since the glass absorbs much of the UV light and the pupils of the eye get much smaller which limits the exposure as well.

Last edited:
Radiation exposure damage is cumulative. Being outside for an hour has more of an effect on your eyes than staring at burning Mg for a second or two.

Benm

You do get a welding-eye phenomenon if you stare into burning magnesium ribbon though. I've never heard of anyone getting permanent eye damage from it, but then again, its probably something you do only a few times.

As for lighting/burning magnesium objects: Its near impossible to do with things like a blowtorch. Magnesium, like aluminium, also forrms an oxide layer on its surface, although its not nearly as hard. This makes even the thin ribbon difficult to ignite in a gas flame, let alone a big chunk of it.

Also, stuff marketed as 'magnesium' usually is not made of pure magnesium at all, but from some alloy that has some magnesium content. Especially stuff used in mechanical parts such as car transmissions is often magnalium, and alloy of mostly aluminium with only one or two percent magnesium. This is impossible to ignite and will certainly not sustain flame in air.

I hear that some sleds are casted from a magnesium alloy. Anybody find a good way of igniting these things *whole*?

Also, I hear old VW engine blocks are made of a high percentage magnesium alloy.

Rafa

I found Mg in pencil sharpeners, It is fun to burn! I use a Jet 1300C lighter from DX to light it.

I hear that some sleds are casted from a magnesium alloy. Anybody find a good way of igniting these things *whole*?

Also, I hear old VW engine blocks are made of a high percentage magnesium alloy.

Actually if I recall Flaminpyro was or is, collecting used sleds for use in the manufacturing of his pyrotechnics.