Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building Green 200mw Laser? Parts?

Hi guys, I've searched around on these forums and figured that building a laser is the way to go and want a green for visibility. I have a budget of $100ish for parts, but not sure what to go for with my budget? So from reading on here I'll need a Host, Driver, Diode and Lens. I want max power, so if my budget can create a laser over 200mw let me know! A wide beam would be nice as well. Any suggestions on what parts to get?
Cheers

vSy

Making your laser is not as simple as one might think. There are a few basics you need to cover. You need to be able to say 'yes' to these:

I know what a mechanically clean joint is and how to create one.
I can use a soldering iron, solder and flux to join delicate components/wires
I have a basic knowledge of electronics (voltage and current, resistors, diodes, etc)
I have about $50 burning a hole in my pocket. [Yes]

Making your laser is not as simple as one might think. There are a few basics you need to cover. You need to be able to say 'yes' to these:

I know what a mechanically clean joint is and how to create one.
I can use a soldering iron, solder and flux to join delicate components/wires
I have a basic knowledge of electronics (voltage and current, resistors, diodes, etc)
I have about $50 burning a hole in my pocket. [Yes]

I can say yes to all of those! I have done DIY electrical projects before involving circuits and soldering blah blah, just never have made a laser, nor do I know what parts are the best these days for a laser which is what I'm asking :eek: I'm a TOTAL noob in the laser world, but am accomplished in all qualities needed to learn about lasers inside and out :D

Jaseth

A typical green laser as you probably know them is DPSS, meaning it uses an 808nm pump diode and two crystals to create the green 532nm. If you don't know this by now, you should probably be doing some more reading.
Getting hold of and aligning these crystals yourself would be a very big job, so if you want to make your own green laser I suggest buying a complete module (diode, crystals and driver already combined) from a place such as O-like and then putting it in one of the kits you can buy from Jayrob on the forum.
For your budget you will not get 200mW, but if you save up for a while longer you should be able to afford a kit and a 120-150mW module.

Seb

Buy a green module to make your green laser. These are available in powers from 5mW to 200mW, sized for pen lasers. Check the voltage required for your chosen module. Some are 3V, so you use 2 x AAA 1.5V alkaline to power them, others are rated 4.2V and can run off a single lithium cell (CR2, CR123, 10440, 14500). The module has a switch on it. You need to provide a pen host and batteries to complete the build. O-like are OK for lower power modules, but avoid their 200mW ones. I recently ordered a 200mW green module from o-like for a build. They, despite the fact that I was a repeat customer, actually dared to drop-ship me from Indonesia an underspec, faulty module. However, every o-like module I have purchased of 150mW or lower has come direct from o-like and been good. Avoid their 200mW module, it is drop-shipped junk. DX modules are risky, too. Go o-like and 150mW or less and you'll be fine.

EDIT : Remember that these little modules are not IR filtered. If you need/insist on IR filtering, you can add your own.

Last edited: