Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building first laser, need some insight...

Okay so this is my first post and my first laser build. First, I want to know if this is even going to meet my requirements....

I recently ordered some of those cheap ~$5 over spec ebay pens. I got one 532nm and one 405nm. The quality is exceedingly cheap, but I knew it would be. Both of them can pop balloons, granted I use a magnifying glass.

I decided I wanted to pop balloons WITHOUT a magnifying glass. So I recently ordered the 50mw O-like module. I dont want to spend too much on this, especially if its not going to work the way I wanted. I read reviews on this module and many people are talking about burning tape and trash bags, but are they using a magnifying glass? I distinctively DO NOT want to have to use one, but I dont want it so strong that I have to invest a ton of money into the module.

They thing I need help with the most is a host for this module. I have seen jaybob (i think thats right) threads with all of his super awesome hosts, but again I DO NOT want to invest that much money into a 50mw laser. Since I have these cheap New Wish Style pens, i figured I could pop out the green ones module and put in this 50mw until I figure out what I want. I want something small, preferably chrome, that would easily fit in my pocket. Even better if it was small enough to house just one 10440 battery with the module.

I guess I need advice on whether or not this module is going to be acceptable for my application, and some ideas for the host. Do I need adjustable focus for this to pop balloons? Where can I get those if need be (either for the wish pens or whatever)

I know this is a lot of newbie questions, but I have waited 3 days before posting this to make sure I read everything I could. There are just so many contradictions its hard to figure out whats what... thank you for your time....

that video is what got me started.... I have two of those style pens he has his module in, but i was looking for something a little sturdier for the host of my new module. I guess if I HAVE to I could put it in one of those hosts, but I dont know that I want to disassemble one of my working pens. Is there a place you can order an empty wish pen?

This is kinda on the right track of the style host I want:
rffff.jpg

i recently brought a 500mw 808nm laser... with a very nice fan cooled module.
i got several ktp yvo4 crystals as you showed in the picture. yet mine doesnt want to convert to green... any suggestions?
i got special 500mw ir drivers, cooling system, ktp yvo4 crystal converter and still no green... the ir goes through the crystal and doesnt do anything but come out the other side the same colour....
any suggestions to my problem??

i recently brought a 500mw 808nm laser... with a very nice fan cooled module.
i got several ktp yvo4 crystals as you showed in the picture. yet mine doesnt want to convert to green... any suggestions?
i got special 500mw ir drivers, cooling system, ktp yvo4 crystal converter and still no green... the ir goes through the crystal and doesnt do anything but come out the other side the same colour....
any suggestions to my problem??

Are the YVO and KTP crystals separate? Or glued together? You may already know, but I'll restate, the 808nm must first pass through the Nd:YTP (Vanadate) to become 1064nm. Then the 1064nm runs through the KTP and becomes 532nm (green).

I just looked, and MI still sells these crystals, but oh so pricey. I'd love to demonstrate this phenomenon to my teenagers.

If you're still having trouble, take some demo pics, and maybe we can spot what's wrong. Better, yet, HD video with Mozart playing in the background.