Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Brokerage and Costums duties?

KRyan

I just ordered two DX lasers, one for my father as a birthday gift and the other for me to help keep my nova in good condition. I didn't pay for upgraded shipping, there was no rush, so I was charged a penny for handling. Now I get a bill from UPS for $5.67 (US), now its not a lot of money, but wow is it kinda annoying. Anyone else have this happen?

Happens all the time. UPS is the freight forwarder and charges you for their storage, any customs charges, and any FDA charges that are assessed.

What UPS charges you for is the space (basically rent) in their trade zone at the customs entry point warehouse while waiting for customs to clear the product. This only happens if the item gets held for inspection. U.S. Customs will levy taxes for import based on the declared cost of the product. The FDA will charge you if they have to become involved with a customs issue.

Some shippers pay these charges. They can select who gets billed for customs related charges when they ship the item. Otherwise the recipient gets the bill.

Hmmm... something fishy here. :-? Normally DX sends by airmail and UPS has nothing to do with it. I've never paid a penny for any of my DX orders. However, if DX "upgraded" you for free to EMS shipping, (something I'm seeing a lot now on their more expensive products), then it will come in via a broker and incur a charge. (In your case, from UPS)

I always open a ticket and insist that they ship by airmail. It takes a bit longer, but there's no broker involved and no hassles. (At least here to Canada)

Cheers, CC