Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Broken MagLite

I bought a 245mW red MagLite from sk8er4514 and it finally turned up today. All looked good until I tested it, it worked for about 5 seconds and I noticed the beam was very badly aligned. After turning it off to get my old 1mw pointer to compare it, the problems begin... The new MagLite does not work!

To see what the problem is I took the head off to see how it was wired up, I have to say its the most messy thing I have ever seen! Its impossible to find where the + and - connectors are and there is no driver board, the parts have been soldered directly to the diode itself.

I am not getting a reply from sk8er4514 so I have no choice to ask here. Is there some way this can be fixed? The diode is below and its the best picture I can get.

Attachments

• S7300509.jpg
    S7300509.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 662

jake21

sorry to say u got ripped off/scammed , if its dimm its blown no way of fixing it :(

chido

Sorry man but your diode is probably fried, have you tested it with a proper driver?
I knew this dude was going to cause problems if he started selling mini mags, but I have to ask one question, why would a member who's been here longer than I have buy a laser that doesn't even have a circuit? :-?

jake21 said:
sorry to say u got ripped off/scammed , if its dimm its blown no way of fixing it :(

Trouble is, its not dim. The wiring is so rubbish that its impossible to connect so it just wont light up... The positive and negative wont go into the maglites connectors and its made even worse by the fact I can only see one connector.

chido

Oh ok, then I suggest you throw the maglite in the trash, get all that nasty stuff off your diode and build yourself a proper driver. ;) ;D

chido said:
Oh ok, then I suggest you throw the maglite in the trash, get all that nasty stuff off your diode and build yourself a proper driver. ;) ;D

Wrong.

Just got it tested properly, the diode is fine, the maglite housing is the problem. The crappy wiring has literally snapped so the diode isn't even connected to a power source, I can take the batteries out and wire it up and its fine, works perfect.

I will be taking it apart soon and putting a proper driver in there though.

chido

Good to hear you're going to make a driver for it. And what do you mean "wrong"? :-?

chido said:
Good to hear you're going to make a driver for it. And what do you mean "wrong"? :-?

Wrong, I shouldn't chuck the diode and I shouldn't chuck the whole maglite.

chido

I only said to throw away the maglite, not the diode since you said it wasn't dead but the pins didn't fit in the holes on the maglite. And about the maglite I was only playing, it's your choice. But let's not get into an argument dude. :)
I'm very interested to see how you'll fit a DDL driver (which I'm assuming is the one you're going to build) into the minimag, I'd like to do something like that after I finish building my current laser.

Use the diode in something proper. ANd I just purchased on clearance a MiniMaglite LED Upgrade kit on clearance somewhere for $9 that has 3 LEDs and a tailcap clicky. Makes the mini mag WAY brighter, it's actually a nice little flashlight now....

geo-r

desslok said:
Use the diode in something proper.  ANd I just purchased on clearance a MiniMaglite LED Upgrade kit on clearance somewhere for $9 that has 3 LEDs and a tailcap clicky.  Makes the mini mag WAY brighter, it's actually a nice little flashlight now....
Can you tell me from where you buy this MiniMaglite LED Upgrade kit?I want to do the same with my MiniMaglite.Thanks. :-?