Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best Way/Is It Possible To Add IR Filter To Lazerer Rifle Host

Anybody know the best way, or even if it is possible, to add an IR filter to a Lazerer Rifle host?

I ordered a round 20mm IR filter thinking I could attach it to the outside of the null lens or maybe remove one of the pattern inserts from one of the other lenses from the kit and install it to the outside of that.

When I added it temporarily to to the outside of the null lens it made the beam look awful.

Any ideas, advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks group.

Glenn Atkins

Hmm, a true IR filter of good quality should not negatively affect the beam specs. Sounds like you got a dud filter.

The easiest route would be exactly as you described; attach it to the null lens or empty one of the attachments.

Maybe contact Max (once he's back from Holiday) about a special order; a Lazerer Null lens with an additional IR filter.

I got this one from Edmunds and maybe I got the wrong kind:

IR Cut-Off Filters - Edmund Optics

If this is the wrong kind/type of filter, can anyone recommend one that I could just mount to the outside of the null Lazerer screw on lens adapter?

This image is of a LaserGlow 532nm 5mW pointed at a music stand from about 1.5 feet.

57bc50a5.jpg

This one is the same laser with the IR filter held in front of it right up against and flat to the laser.

5b1c0469.jpg

It may not me readily evident in the picture, but in the one with the IR filter in front there is a tremendous amount of fuzz, almost like a small stars pattern all around the beam.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Glenn

Last edited:
Hmm, looks like the correct type of filter. Your picture kind of looks like what a very dirty lens produces. Have you tried cleaning the IR filter's surfaces?

OK, here it is against a medium brown wall from about 1 foot after cleaning the IR filter with a microfiber cloth.

You can see better the sand-grand type pattern surrounding the beam:

20f62ab3.jpg

and the beam without the filter against the same wall:

100178fe.jpg

Very strange it seems. It is much more pronounced in person versus the two images.

Glenn

The distance was kept the same between the two photos? If so, that is VERY odd. It almost looks like the divergence has been doubled.

Well, I'm out of ideas really. I see in your signature you have plenty of goggles though, including IR only and 532 + IR, so I guess just don't worry about using an additional IR filter. If you're going to do anything where the beam could reflect back at you and the 10mW IR could pose a danger the 215mW of 532 would as well, and thus you should be wearing goggles, just wear the 532 + IR ones. For non-reflective pointing the danger would be the same with any laser; next to none with the proper precautions (stable, secure support of the laser, and nothing reflective near the stationary beam path).

Distance was approximately the same. The only thing I can figure is perhaps the filter is too thick (1.10mm) or is not close enough to the origin of the beam.

The LaserGlow dot in the photos is already IR filtered, but the visual outcome and effect on the beam is the same on the Lazerer 200mW.

Thanks for trying to help.

Glenn

The distance from the origin of the beam should not matter as long as the diameter of the beam at the point of filtering is less than the diameter of the active area of the filter. In other words if the power density was too much for the filter up close you could place a diverging lens in the beam (or, I know it's silly, but place the lens out a hundred feet) to spread it out, then place the filter in place, and put a converging lens back in the beam path to return the beam to the original diameter, and it should function fine.

I do not know if the lens thickness has any effect on the beam quality or shape, other than reduced transmittance.

I was under the impression that Lazerer's 200mW Rifle IS IR Filtered, and the IR reading he provides is how much escapes the IR filter installed. Is this not the case?

I do not know the IR filtered status of the Lazerer 200mW 532nm.

If it was stated on their site that it is IR filtered, I missed it.

Anybody else know for sure?

Glenn

Edit: Looks like Lazerer can optionally add an IR filter to their Cannon 300mW and Cannon 400mW greens.

Last edited:
I checked the website, but didn't see any positive confirmation that there is an IR filter in place. However, I did not see the normal Negatvie Confirmation notice (which says to contact Lazerer within 3 hours of purchase if you require an IR filter to be installed) either, so that may be a good sign.

Did you get the power certificate? Perhaps it will say on there.

The power cert. says that the 10mW of IR is the IR Output "With IR Pass Through Filter."

The 215mW stable output is stated as "Without IR Filter."

My thinking is that the RIFLE is NOT IR filtered.

I have inquired to Max about getting a null lens adapter that contains and IR filter but I wonder if the beam effects would be the same as I am experiencing now. We'll see.

Glenn