Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beam expander optics

I asked a knowledgeable person about the X after the 10 on a beam expander and this person(Jack at optotronics) said, "the beam diameter is increased by "X" amount and divergence is also decreased by that same amount." Does this mean that if you start with a 1mm beam diameter you will end up with a 1mm beam diameter regarless of how many times you expand the beam? and refocus it.

usakicksass said:
I asked a knowledgeable person about the X after the 10 on a beam expander and this person(Jack at optotronics) said, "the beam diameter is increased by "X" amount and divergence is also decreased by that same amount." Does this mean that if you start with a 1mm beam diameter you will end up with a 1mm beam diameter regarless of how many times you expand the beam? and refocus it.
What?
My interpretation, from little prior knowledge, says that the beam goes from 1mm to 10mm, and divergence goes from 1mRad (or whatever it is) to .1mRad, for a 10X expander.