Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beam dump/beam blocker advice needed

VLC18

First if all I would like it to be known that I am new to lasers. In fact I don’t even have one over 5 mw yet. I want to get 3 lasers from San wu pocket series. The 492nm 100 mw,520nm 150 mw, and the 445nm 500 mw laser. I want to get something to act as a “beam blocker”. I know they may not be necessary but I still might want them for the future. If all goes well with these I may purchase lasers if higher power. Just wondering what I should use so I can leave it in one place for burning purposes.

thanks in advance😁👍

I use cinder blocks and bricks which I can burn with enough power but they will stop the beam, for anything sanwu sells a brick or cinder block works just fine but you also want laser safety glasses that will attenuate the wavelength you will be working with, you must protect your eyes, accidents happen so be prepared by wearing the correct laser safety glasses.

A trick I use is to set my cinder block at an angle so my eyes won't be in line with the diffuse reflection from the termination either.

VLC18

I use cinder blocks and bricks which I can burn with enough power but they will stop the beam, for anything sanwu sells a brick or cinder block works just fine but you also want laser safety glasses that will attenuate the wavelength you will be working with, you must protect your eyes, accidents happen so be prepared by wearing the correct laser safety glasses.

A trick I use is to set my cinder block at an angle so my eyes won't be in line with the diffuse reflection from the termination either.
Thanks so much I heard that painting things black make it better because it absorbs light.is this nessesary?

For infinity focused beams you could use high temp black paint on a piece of aluminum or better yet use some extruded aluminum heat sink and paint it with flat black high temp paint and build a box painted black on the inside to absorb the diffuse reflections then put your cinder block or painted heat sink inside to stop the beam, make a small hole in your box for your laser to enter, I have done this with PVC tubes painted flat black inside ( not gloss ) and butted up to a cinder block to block the diffuse reflection and the black paint to absorb the scattered light from the diffuse reflection. Be aware of anything that can catch fire.

The cinder block set at an angle works well for a quick beam stop and to hide the diffuse reflection ( scattered light ) from the termination while working on the bench.

SANY6125.JPG