Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Batteries for X series?

Any recommendation on batteries for the X series lasers?

I've been using plain old (duracell) alkaline batteries. The problem with alkaline batteries is they are not well suited for high drain devices and tend to die young with a lot of unused capacity. After just a few minutes of use you no longer get that nice peak of power.

Ideally some sort of rechargeable (Ni-MH) is the way to go.. however sometimes the fact they are only 1.2 volts (and depending on the regulator in the laser) means the laser will still not be as bright despite the fact they can deliver the current needed to keep the pump diode humming.

Then there's the really expensive, premium, disposable Li batteries like the energizer e^2. I'm assuming these are OK??

I ask cuz the instructions clearly state "Alkaline" batteries, and if the laser is relying on the internal resistance of alkaline batts to keep the pump diode from cooking itself that's what I'm going to stick with! I'll just look for some of those new alkaline batts meant for high drain devices.

T

timelord

Lithium e2's if your in the USA and lithiums from tescos if your in the UK as they are cheaper ;) Your X series will come alive with these batteries :)

I mailed NOVA lasers about the battery 'issue' and here's the response I got:

We recommend Duracell Ultra alkaline batteries for the best performance from your X-Series laser. Other batteries can also be used however, including rechargeables. The Energizer E2 batteries can be used however we recommend that you use the Ni-MH rechargeable batteries as these will provide a more constant current and they are more economical. As the laser unit has a voltage regulating circuit there will be no added benefit in using the Energizer E2 batteries other than a longer run time.

So I'll probably, for the time being, pick up a case of duracell ultras and maybe a 4-pack of those expensive Energizer lithiums. Apparently they are regulated so the battery type may not be that important - fortunately.

Has anyone used Ni-MH batteries and found no difference in output?

I use Energizer NiMh 900mAh. They work great and last for a good bit before next charge.

Greenie said:
I use Energizer NiMh 900mAh. They work great and last for a good bit before next charge.

I picked up a pack of these and they work well... just as bright, was able to add a couple of feet to my balloon pop distance (12 feet). Glad these pointers are regulated and work with rechargeable batts, will not have to waste any more money purchasing disposables. Thing with Ni-MH is they can supply tons of current (waaay more than alks) so I doubt any other batteries including lithiums would work better.