Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

are Wicked's Lasershades goggles reliable?

ixfd64

Given Wicked's history of producing products of poor quality, I'm a bit concerned about the qualities of the LaserShades. Does anyone know how effective the LaserShades really are?

(Speaking of safety goggles, how come LaserGlow and Optotronics do not sell any goggles on their websites?)

[edit]It seems that LaserGlow does sell goggles, but they're on a rather obscure webpage.[/edit]

Not to mention that laserglow's prices for safety glasses are outrageous! :eek:

Razako

optotronics sells laser goggles....
They are in the same section as the lasers.

Gazoo

ixfd64 said:
Given Wicked's history of producing products of poor quality, I'm a bit concerned about the qualities of the LaserShades. Does anyone know how effective the LaserShades really are?

(Speaking of safety goggles, how come LaserGlow and Optotronics do not sell any goggles on their websites?)

[edit]It seems that LaserGlow does sell goggles, but they're on a rather obscure webpage.[/edit]

They are very effective...I have the lasershades for both red and green. Many of us are using the lasershades and have been for months...IMO they are the best for the money.

lazd

I almost bought a pair of lasershades today from Wicked Lasers, but then I saw the shipping cost ($21.99) and realized they were located in China and second guessed myself.

Anyone know what the ship times are like from WL? Is there any place in North America I can order red wavelength goggles from for <$100? I saw 532nm goggles on Laserglow for $89, but nothing in the 650~ red range.

Razako

lazd said:
I almost bought a pair of lasershades today from Wicked Lasers, but then I saw the shipping cost ($21.99) and realized they were located in China and second guessed myself.

Anyone know what the ship times are like from WL? Is there any place in North America I can order red wavelength goggles from for <$100? I saw 532nm goggles on Laserglow for $89, but nothing in the 650~ red range.
Go to the pricing section here and you can order the 660nm goggles.
http://laserglow.com/index.php?fitovergoggles

chido

lazd said:

I believe pseudo mentioned he sells the lasershades for 47 bucks shipped. I don't know if he still does though, ask him.

I bought the red and green goggles and they were here in 3 days. I thought they were way pricey but the case is nice and the polishing cloth that comes with them is really handy for my various optics bits, so overall I'm happy with them. They don't completely block the light so they are better for lower powers. I can still see the dot of my Pulsar, for example, which actually makes it easier to adjust things when wearing them. (at the expense of "full-beam-in-the-eye" protection, however)

Pseudo's price is the best I've seen, shipped. Hopefully he still sells them, it would save you some coin.

CC

ixfd64

It's kinda ironic that Wicked actually makes something good. ;D

geek

Does anyone have actual transmittance numbers for the lasershades? I couldn't find any on their site.

chido

I've heard too many times they're OD3 although I'm not 100% sure, as for the VLT I have no idea but I wouldn't worry about it as many experienced people in this forum recommend them and I've never heard of anybody who doesn't.

SMIDSY

does anyone knwo the exact specs on the WL green ones- I know there's another thread but I cant find it...

are they at least OD2?

I also believe they are OD2. Wicked Lasers doesn't manufacture their laser goggles, that's why they are good. Protective glasses are priced based on the wavelengths supported. Single or near single wavelengths are the least expensive except for some of the near IR stuff because the organic dyes are expensive. Multiple wavelengths are a bit more and broadband are even more expensive. Now add on top of that the OD rating at the various wavelengths. The lower the OD the less expensive. If someone wanted to run a group buy for 532nm, my company could supply OD3 at a very good price if 20 or so were ordered.