Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are rechargeable batteries any good?

Recently I purchased a 50mw laser from ledshoppe (little disappointing to be honest) but I find myself constantly going through AAA batteries. I read that Duracell batteries are some of the best batteries to use in lasers but then it hit me that I could use rechargeable batteries. Before dropping $20+ on rechargeable batteries, I'm curious as to whether or not they're ideal for a laser like mine and what type of rechargables I should get. (I.e. Duracell, rayovac, energizer).
Thanks for the help!

It really depends on the driver. Some require a higher voltage than others to stay in regulation. CNI pens often work very well with NiMH. It's hard to know without testing that specific model.

Brand doesn't matter too much in my experience. They all lie about capacity. Worst case scenario, your pointer lasts 10 minutes instead of 20 minutes. Who cares - throw them on the charger again.

You could get some NiZn cells. They're a little more expensive, they require a unique charger, their capacity isn't quite as high as NiMH, they can be charged fewer times... but they've got a nominal cell voltage of 1.6V instead of the 1.2V of NiMH which means the driver is guaranteed to be in regulation.