Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any problems with NiteCore 18650's?

jweb

I have 4 of these: "NiteCore 2300mAH NL183 High Discharge Performance w/ Integrated battery overcharge/discharge protection circuits". I usually use them in a flashlight which uses a Cree XML-T6 and they tend to perform extremely well.

I thought I would try one in the 405nm setup I put together from parts from DTR (405nm diode in the module with driver) and an S4 host from Survival Laser. Apparently that was a bad idea...should have stuck with the Panasonic 18650's I've been using. These NiteCore are about 4mm longer than the rest of the 18650's I have.

I put the battery in the host, turned it on and the beam flashed very bright for about 2 seconds then went dark. Didn't even go LED...just dark. Took the battery out of the host, tried my trusty Panasonic 18650 and still nothing. I get voltage on the output of the driver, and if I hook up a high output Cree LED the driver powers it so I assume the driver is ok.

Is is possible that the NiteCore battery with it's "High Discharge Performance" gave it a 'kill surge'?

I just ordered a new 405nm from DTR in the meantime.

Sta

It's unlikely that Nitecore batteries would cause such damage. Nitecore batteries are just protected versions of rebranded Panasonics, I believe.

405nm diodes are finicky, and I've had two of mine die for no reason at all. So this situation is unfortunately pretty common.

Yeah. 405nm diodes love dying for no reason whatsoever. Have had a few randomly die on me too. Some zombie, others led, while sometimes they just stop emitting.

As for the nitecore batteries, I believe the general opinion is that they are decent for their intended use aka flashlights. The 4mm of extra length is the protection circuit on the base of the battery.

jweb

Guess it's just my bad luck then lol
I've got 1 working still, and another that I built for a friend that is still working, but this one that I just happened to swap in a NiteCore gave up the ghost out of the blue. Seemed a big coincidence as it was running strong up until that point.

After I get this one fixed up I've got my sights set on a NUBM44 450nm.

btw CynicalBrad - Love the 350z in your avatar. Those have always been a favorite of mine. Not so much a fan of the 370's though.

Last edited: