Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any other useful parts?

When ever i pull apart a drive to get the diode, i see all these glass optics and stuff in there. Any of these could be a use to me? What do they serve? Is their purpose to split a beam? Combine a beam? Change a beams colour? Reduce its power? Focus it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Switch

I found a brewster window(?) that blocks a lot of red and lets in a lot of visible light, but it's very small.I'm guessing it only reflects red and would pass anything else, so I'm guessing it could be used to combine red with something else, but I haven't really tried.Also, if you get a decently sized PBS cube you might be able to combine two red beams into one with it.I also used one of the lenses to get a really tight and close focus so I can engrave wood.
You can also find 2 small square neodymium magnets near the last lens.

Nothing can change a laser's colour. That is the nature of a laser. However there are a lot of handy optics in there, if you're lucky there will be a diffraction grating (small piece of glass) in front of teh diode. The rest of the optics, try playing around and see if you like any of them.