Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Allowed signatures

Solution: Don't have peoples signatures display in threads.
-Under your user Control Panel: (Left side "user CP")
-Under Settings and Options: (Left side select "Edit Options")
-Scroll down to the heading: (Thread Display Options)
and un-select "show signatures"

Now, all signatures (including those with large .gif files) will not show up. :beer:

But then you miss out a lot of fun. Disabling web page animation as described above seems like a better suggestion ;)

As you can tell by my sig I like big sigs, the animations don't bother me, I think your making this bigger then you need to... Don't worry about it, this is a big forum and we are trying to keep it "free" afterall, your still a fairly new member!

As you can tell by my sig I like big sigs

They can be humongous for all I mind :)

Don't Laze Me Bro said:
I think your making this bigger then you need to...

I think you interpret my intension wrong.

I am merely suggesting a technical standpoint view of the usage of GIF images [and their usage in signatures].

Which [may] create animations as they would result in quite huge loading times for some (note again, not me inclusive 99% of the time).

Example of solution; why not allow [or require when used for signatures] embedding of flash animations? :) Most of the stuff I've seen would go sub-100kB encoded properly. Or being a bit more technically modern; allow embedding of WebM for web streamed video.

Don't Laze Me Bro said:
Don't worry about it, this is a big forum and we are trying to keep it "free"

No opposition there!

Don't Laze Me Bro said:
afterall, your still a fairly new member!

IMO irrelevant for a technical view of discussion. :)

But, this being said, if nobody else sees a problem nor a room for improvement, there is none. Simple as that. And as I got atleast a few oldtimer replies here indicating such, then it is! :beer:

Solution to ALL of the obnoxious/bloated sigs/avatars ---> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865/ :san:

Works for members as well as non-members!

Upon my very first visit here I immediately added [ hxxp://laserpointerforums.com/signaturepics ] to my filter list and never saw another signature again. If you don't wish to filter all signatures you can simply right click on the worst offenders and add them using the "custom" feature in the AdBlock menu. Also, very helpful for annoying/obnoxious adverts!!!

..if you're not using Firefox then suffer bastid, suffer. :eg: