Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AixiZ modules..I never knew.....

LarryQ

I have just routinely disposed of the little 5MW laser module whenever I needed an AixiZ housing for a red burner...

Well..today I was a little bored..so I took one of those Laser diodes with the circuit board attached, and hooked it up to a 3.0 volt Cr-123 battery..

I discovered there is a small green LED on that circuit board that lights whenever the diode is powered!

Just what good it does when it's mounted inside the round Aixiz housing, I have no idea...but it is kinda neat!

Wanted to share....I'm easily impressed some times!

LarryQ

H

High_Octane

I found it under all that white crap. Man thats tiny!
and it still lights even if the LD is chopped off.

the LED may provide a little bit of voltage 'regulation' or current limiting to the LD. possibly even something set up in a feedback loop to stop the power source being completely drained after the voltage drops below a given threshold.

of course, one would need to see the circuit diagram to clearly establish if it's purpose extends beyond that of a notification lamp.

Benm

Yup, its a voltage reference - leds are nice for that purpose and probably cheaper than a proper reference chip ;)

I discovered that too about a month ago, when I powered it up I thought something was glowing hot until I realized it was just a tiny LED!

saw that too but mine only comes on if i short out one of the resistors don't ask me which because i forgot.