Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

aixiz acrylic vs. glass

Roughly how much power is lost when using a glass opposed to acrylic? I'm just wondering because glass gives a much cleaner dot as well as it doesnt scratch so easy. When unfocused my acrylic looks like it has a million bubbles in it. I was thinking that the acrylic is so terrible that the power loss would be similar anyway? :-/

jayrob

Sounds like your acrylic lens is dirty...

But the AixiZ glass will give you a little more power with the red diodes. I got about 7mW's or 8mW's more power with the open cans at 420mA's.

For blu-ray, stick with AixiZ Acrylic or Meredith glass. You will not get good results using AixiZ glass, or Meredith acrylic with a blu-ray...
Jay

jayrob said:
Sounds like your acrylic lens is dirty...

But the AixiZ glass will give you a little more power with the red diodes. I got about 7mW's or 8mW's more power with the open cans at 420mA's.

For blu-ray, stick with AixiZ Acrylic or Meredith glass. You will not get good results using AixiZ glass, or Meredith acrylic with a blu-ray...
Jay
I have 5 acrylic lenses, all brand new, all suck. i actually just compared them all to my aixiz glass. none of the acrylics would even burn.  :-/ glass ftw  :D

EDIT: also they are not dirty, every one i've ever had has looked liked that. terrible lenses. my glass one is perfectly clear with no specks of anything and i've never cleaned it once  :-/

That sounds very odd, the glass should produce less power (about 1/3) compared to acrylic which is supposed to be 2/3 of the diodes power. I know i read it on here before about the power loss with the two. Maybe you just have a good glass lenses that isn't coated for 650nm.

very weird i will experiment later today with that idea.

where did you buy your glass lenses that is making your blu ray stronger?

I just tried one my AiXiZ glass lenses in my higher powered bluray. With the AiXiZ glass lens, I cannot see a difference in brightness when compared to my lower-powered build(150 vs 160mA). With the clear acrylic lenses installed on both, the 160mA build is quite noticeably brighter. This actually matches my old results, where I could see a difference in the brightness from the two lenses when used in the same laser.

I know there is not much difference in the driving currents, but with the variance in power of the 803T's themselves, it makes sense.

Your results for burning may be the glass lens' ability to focus better, or perhaps dirty/scratched/bad acrylic lenses.

From what I understood from lots of reading here, the Aixis glass produces higher LPM readings,
but the acrylic focused to a tighter dot for burning.......................

moond0ggie said:
From what I understood from lots of reading here, the Aixis glass produces higher LPM readings,
but the acrylic focused to a tighter dot for burning.......................
that is fo red lasers sir, violet is different because the lenses are AR coated for red. on another note, i seem to have found an acrylic lens that is better  ;D

on another TERRIBLE note, this thing seems to be killing my 10440's  :eek: last night i noticed it wasnt burning anymore so i figured it was time for a charge. before i did that, i measured all three batteries in the cradle and it measured under 8 volts!  :eek: 2 of them were fine, but 1 was at 0.17 :eek: i put it in the charger, light didnt come on, it was dead  :'( luckily i had an extra one cuz it takes three :p but then the same thing happened again later, one was at 1.18 volts! but this one didnt die luckily. another weird thing is that it was in the same spot  :-/ how could that one spot be killing my batteries?

jayrob

What host are you using? It's possible that your batteries are not getting good connection. Maybe Too much draw from only 2 batteries instead of all 3...

Check the picture in this post that shows a little modification of the 'tabs' in the battery holder. These tabs can limit or even impede the positive contact point.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1213338268/0
Jay

jayrob said:
What host are you using? It's possible that your batteries are not getting good connection. Maybe Too much draw from only 2 batteries instead of all 3...

Check the picture in this post that shows a little modification of the 'tabs' in the battery holder. These tabs can limit or even impede the positive contact point.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1213338268/0
Jay
usin the 3405. funny thing about the tabs though, in that battery slot there are no tabs, but in the other 2 slots which are fine, there are tabs. :-/ so the battery thats dying has the best connection, which leads me to believe that all the current is coming from that one specifically so its dying rapidly? :-/

jayrob

The tabs are easy to 'break' off with a knife...

Test voltage from the battery pack!
Jay

measured the voltage. before = 11.46v after taking tabs off = 11.46v lol we'll see what happens. hopefully not another dead batt :-/