Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

advise on what to buy

Hi guys,

just wondering which laser you would reccomend buying,

i currently have a 50mw green laser, its very bright however it doesnt appear to set match-heads on fire, would this be due to not actually being 50mw ? or is a higher spec laser required for this ?

i have up to 100usd to spend, would also look at second hand options if someone is selling something ?

i do prefer green over red - looks a lot cooler :) i realise red is a lot better for burning (correct ?)

if someone can post some links that would be much appreciated !!!!!!

PS im from New Zealand and i found this site very helpful :)

Many Thanks :)

50mW isn't enough to light matches, even if it was overspec. You would need about 100mW to reliably light matches, but lower powers can, if focused properly, light matches. Red is not better for burning, but red is able to reach high powers much easier then green, but if they are equal, green will burn just a tiny bit better, because it has a higher wavelength, which means it has a higher energy density. This is not noticeable, and if the red was just a few mW's more, it would burn better. I also prefer green over red. ;)

moond0ggie said:
You might contact this seller for greens in your price range,

.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1219896800

search.stores.ebay.com/Safe-Guard-2008__W0QQfclZ4QQfrppZ30QQfrtsZ0QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsaselZ795688474QQsofpZ0

many thanks for these links, and also to the others who have offered advise

the chinese girl who sells these lasers has advised me she can do a 90~100mw green for $65usd and she advises it WILL light matches relatively easy, has anyone bought one of these from her and confirm it ?

ive also just been given a dead old laptop which has a dvd writer in it, so ill attempt to make my own red laser :) just need a pot, lens, battery and solder right ?

will a lens from a cheap $2 5mw red laser work ?, also is there any particular grade wiring i need ?

ReaperZ said:
[quote author=moond0ggie link=1219981536/0#1 date=1219981967]You might contact this seller for greens in your price range,

.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1219896800

search.stores.ebay.com/Safe-Guard-2008__W0QQfclZ4QQfrppZ30QQfrtsZ0QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsaselZ795688474QQsofpZ0

many thanks for these links, and also to the others who have offered advise

the chinese girl who sells these lasers has advised me she can do a 90~100mw green for $65usd and she advises it WILL light matches relatively easy, has anyone bought one of these from her and confirm it ?

ive also just been given a dead old laptop which has a dvd writer in it, so ill attempt to make my own red laser :) just need a pot, lens, battery and solder right ?

will a lens from a cheap $2 5mw red laser work ?, also is there any particular grade wiring i need ?[/quote]

Don't forget to review it. ;)

--hydro15

well ive ordered a 150mw green from Standstone11 for $92 from memory

also ordered two friends 2x 50mw from her too

ill do some reviews when i get them :) at a guess id say itll be next friday