Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice on using laser pointers in short film

ebgt

Hi.

I'm a film maker and have a script that involves pointing two lasers at an actors forehead for a period of time. This would be from very close range (15-40 cms). The laser would be locked on a stand and stable. However, the person would be able to move.

I'm aware that its a safety issue re. eyes. And gather that even the lowest power lasers can (potentially) cause injury.

I don't want to put any actors in a position where they are at risk. Plus, I'm legally liable and need to be insurable.

As far as I can see there are two solutions:

Either do it in post. Which is expensive and would be hard (on a shoestring) to accomplish believably.
Or
Well... that's why I'm here. I'm wondering if there's a solution I haven't heard of. Tech moves on - so maybe there is now a laser pointer that would be safe for this. Or something else.

Anyway - if anyone has any bright (pun intended) ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

farbe2

A Laserpointer with <1mW would be save if the actor does not wear any glasses.
However most pointers are not 1mW, this needs to be checked beforehand or a high quality laser module needs to be purchased.
I am looking at Coherent or Thorlabs here. If these companies say 1mW there is certainly only 1mW.