Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A warning for those in ocean city nj

Re: The Video

I can understand the people's reaction in the aircraft.

I think you all make good point's but I feel like personguydude is trying to say that our law enforcement and justice system has and have always had rules and regulations of there own. Arguing with a cop is a bad idea, and if you refuse a search it almost screams Im doing something wrong. The police can and will get search warrents when they want to. If you refuse a search they can actually tow your vehicle with probable cause, arrest you, and wait for a judge to release a search warrent. You will obviously be let go if you have done or possess nothing wrong, but none the less thats a bad experience to go through.

I have in the past had several situations involving the police, and I can say honesty is the best route. Now, if you call attention to yourself, this means your probably doing something wrong. Im assuming most of us keep our lasers, especially high powered ones at home unless it's being transported to another location. You will never be searched randomly unless your doing something wrong.

The sad thing is that we are slowly but surely losing our rights as citizens in this country. It blows my mind that people all around the world, including communist countries can play online poker at there leisure but I can't in the f**king USA. Now another one of my hobbies are in danger of becoming illegal because people misuse them in ways that are harmful to themselves or others.

The problem for us is this. IMO the majority of people buying lasers will most likely miss-use them. Not because they are bad people but merely because they are uneducated as to how harmful these things can be. Not to mention most people outside of our community see no real or practical use for such devices. Most people would think Im insane to spend $450 on a yellow colored 5mW laser merely because I collect wavelengths, enjoy laser photography, etc, and they will never understand. But that is my choice and my right.

If all of you enjoy the hobby, now might be the time for us to help guide our government if possible to making the right decisions around regulating these devices. If we step in as a community and try to regulate something that isnt really regulated yet, they could be open to the idea and move forward as such. Because we all know our federal laser laws are pretty loose atm.

Here is an example.. The US banned online poker back in like 2006. They passed a bill and and the last minute added online poker to the bill. Why? Because none of the politicians voting on this had no good knowledge of what online poker was like or consisted of in the first place. They didn't know that millions and millions of American's enjoyed the hobby, nor did they know its a skill game and not just gambling. Needless to say they realize they made a mistake and online poker is now in a new bill that should pass allowing us to play once again, and this time legally.

If we allow the government to pass laws around lasers with there current knowledge... Basically assuming lasers have no real purpose and that all people owning a green laser is likely to cause trouble they will pass laws accordingly. If a good solution that puts an end to the problems we are seeing but protects the true integrity of the hobby they may listen to our cry's for help. However, if we wait until laws are beefed up, or states take it upon themselves it may be irreversible.

Sorry for the rant, I just get pissed off at stupid people and our country who seemingly wants to regulate everything from baseball to lasers to supersized combo meals. I mean come on, are we going to lose all of our rights to the point where we are no longer free?

-Greg