Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A Planet, the Milky Way, & a Laser

Emc2- i made a wall paper with no Ambient light or power lines in this shot.
here you go guys if u wanna use as a wallpaper.

Backgroundpic.jpg

Wow man those are some awesome pictures, are you close to any cities? I have never seen the milky way in the sky like that, even when I was in the adirondacks, where there isn't big cities for miles. What lens did you use for that second photo?

mfo

I understand that....I was using the Nikon D3 with the 14-24mm f/2.8 lens Here is the camera: Nikon | D3 SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 25434 | B&H Photo

That was only a 30 second exposure, when I take a longer exposure of the Milky Way it looks like this:

original.jpg

-Todd

Awesome picture, from both the laser and milky way point of view. I have to ask you a question that's been itching me for a while. I live in NYC (The worst place in the world for star gazing) and I just recently came back from Hawaii (vacation ^_^). I've been into astronomy for a while now, and I was hell bent on seeing the milky way when I was in Hawaii. I did see it, but it looked so faint, I could barely see it, yet the stars were so bright. Do the images taken of the Milky Way really make it that much brighter due to the exposure? The times I was looking at it were around 12am to 2am Hawaii time. Thanks!

Sergiu

Awesome picture, from both the laser and milky way point of view. I have to ask you a question that's been itching me for a while. I live in NYC (The worst place in the world for star gazing) and I just recently came back from Hawaii (vacation ^_^). I've been into astronomy for a while now, and I was hell bent on seeing the milky way when I was in Hawaii. I did see it, but it looked so faint, I could barely see it, yet the stars were so bright. Do the images taken of the Milky Way really make it that much brighter due to the exposure? The times I was looking at it were around 12am to 2am Hawaii time. Thanks!

exposure time makes all the difference in the world

i LOVE these first 2 pics. Especially the 2nd one, that one makes me wanna learn more about astronomy.

Honostly I don't think the buildings and lights in the 1st picture interfere at all, I think it's great the way it is.
2nd one WILL be my background.

edit: just realized this monitor is making the 2nd picture appear brighter. The monitor I used earlier made it appear to have more contrast, focusing more attention on the milky way rather than the stars. I'm going to play with the brightness and contrast to make it perfect on this monitor

Last edited: