Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

75W Pulsed laser or 75mw CW?

Hi,
I'm new here:wave:. i'm now working on a laser cutting project for myself, and i saw a 905nm 75W laser but soon realize it is only the peak power. As it has a duty cyclical of 0.1%, its avg power is 75*0.1%=75mw. ( the company says it could be overdrive to 4X75w @ peak)

Also, its price on ebay has now drop to $18 usd, which is not too bad. So I want to try this, but I need to know how is it compare to a CW laser say maybe 75mw or something like 100mw/ 150mw?

I seen some people in the forum said they were going to try this but I could not find any result.

Anyone can help me?

Last edited:

A laser at 75W will work for you a (75 Watt CO2) ,but i don't thing you will find one for like 18$
a 75mW laser is around $10 and will not work
your calculation is for a radar laser 75*0.1%=0.075mW do you have the link to the items i thing your talking about the OSRAM SPLPL90_3 Pulsed Laser diodes this are not design to cut anything
tare used for radar scanners,and distance measurement and so on i hope this helps !

Last edited:

Sta

What type of cutting are you trying to achieve? It seems to me that 75mW will not accomplish much in the way of cutting; 75W pulsed will do much better.

to confusing for me :thinking:
Alien, if this is too confusing for you, don't comment. :tsk:

Alien,
Yes, it is that laser, and im aware it is not used for cutting. But hay, it is only $18, doesn't hurt to try nor ask.
BTW, it is not 75mw peak. It is 75watt peak. So avg watt is 75mw

Sta,
Im thinking of cutting dark colored acrylic. And i am also considering using more than one diode if that helps.

These are meant for LIDAR, not cutting things. The large emitter, IR wavelength, and plastic package make it pretty much useless for other things.