Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5w blue laser UK

I have recently acquired a 5w blue laser, it is powerful enough that it burns through solid plastic and cannot point it at bare skin for more than 1second. Does anyone know the uk law for this and possibly worth of it too.
Thanks

I have recently acquired a 5w blue laser, it is powerful enough that it burns through solid plastic and cannot point it at bare skin for more than 1second. Does anyone know the uk law for this and possibly worth of it too.
Thanks

You live there look up the law yourself.

Razako

Can you post a picture of the laser? How did you acquire it? From ebay or a private seller? Probably worth $70-200 depending on the quality of the laser. Don't know the UK laws about lasers.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I am from the UK also, but due to the lack of clarity regarding laser laws here, I now only buy lab (mains powered devices) unless it is rare like the 589nm lasers which are still ridiculously expensive in Lab form. As far as I am aware, I have found no laws to suggest illegality. The main issues surround the usage of the device, in which it should be obvious that, if pointing a hazardous laser at people, animals and means of transport, that it would be a irresponsible and punishable decision. The other factor that you have to look out for; and is the sole reason why I do not buy portables any more, is that it is under the discretion of the police officer at the time, to whether or not to arrest you, based on his judgement on whether the laser is considered a dangerous weapon in the same criteria as firearms, tasers, and blades. Also whenever transporting the laser around, remove the batteries. Having the batteries in is the same as having bullets in a gun. I suggests that the laser was intended for use. It won't do much in your defense, but you can then prove that you hadn't intended to misuse the laser.

Luckily I do not believe the laser is truly a 5w as these are usually obtained through specific sellers of which mostly are on this site. Also if it is a 5W it would burn you instantly and would not have to measure how long it takes. However, it is clearly in between 1.25-1.5W and is most likely a cheap chinese model. This means that the laser is incredibly dangerous, so I hope you are taking precautions.