Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

<5mw blue/violet laser pointer looks weird?

Hi,i want to know is this normal for all violet (405nm) laser pointers to act this way?,i will lay the details down for you and if you know can you please answer correctly? i'd greatly appreciate it thanks!.

Ok so here's the deal with my laser,its <5mw and from Ebay i bought it for $11 (high quality as claimed) sounds like a good deal to me..so anyways the problem im having with my laser is,at night time when i shine it in my house it looks okay but when i try to shine it further lets say around 15-25 feet the dot becomes very big and scattered and i can't really see it..

and i was wondering is it because of the cheap quality lens? or is that how Violet lasers are supposed to be?

this is my first time owning a 2-6mW violet laser pointer..

(please read it carefully before posting!)

TTerbo

its near UV so it is just visible...this is normal for 405nm lasers even my 110mW 405nm looks "blury" after like 15 feet.
your eyes may feel "funny" when using this laser but your eyes will eventually get use to this. it will sill look blury but not as much.
cheers

Last edited:
Hi,i want to know is this normal for all violet (405nm) laser pointers to act this way?,i will lay the details down for you and if you know can you please answer correctly? i'd greatly appreciate it thanks!.

Ok so here's the deal with my laser,its <5mw and from Ebay i bought it for $11 (high quality as claimed) sounds like a good deal to me..so anyways the problem im having with my laser is,at night time when i shine it in my house it looks okay but when i try to shine it further lets say around 15-25 feet the dot becomes very big and scattered and i can't really see it..

and i was wondering is it because of the cheap quality lens? or is that how Violet lasers are supposed to be?

this is my first time owning a 2-6mW violet laser pointer..

(please read it carefully before posting!)

It could be that the collimating lens is not placed at the best position to provide optimal collimation; hence the possible reason for the big spot. There could be dirt on the lens too causing scatter.
BTW , Did you know there is a sub-forum for violet lasers.

Last edited:
Yeah 405nm violet does this to most people, it's on the edge of what your eyes can see and it usually looks fuzzy from a medium distance.