Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

532nm DPSS--Jet Lasers or Laserbtb

I am planning to buy a 532nm DPSS laser. I've narrowed my choices to two:

1. Laserbtb PL532 - 700, 700mW, $738
2. Jet Lasers PL-E Pro 532nm, 800mW, $730

1 has key lock, interlock, focus adjust, and is smaller.
2 has more rated power for about the same price

I like the features and compactness of 1, and I'm not a fan of the light saber look. But, 2 has higher claimed power. Can anyone offer advice or experience with either model that might help me decide?

Thanks.

upaa27

700mw and 800 mw don't really have much of a brightness difference. I would personally say jet lasers because of the quality but if you don't like the lightsaber look, laserbtb makes some good quality ones too.

If you want to burn stuff, which we all love to do(admit it!) laserbtb has easier to adjust focus.

I used to have a 500mW JetLasers in the "lightsaber" host & it was as amazing as it looks! Host felt great, was very comfortable to hold in the hand and is overall one of the best high powered 532's you can buy! Not to mention Gray over at JL is one of the nicest person I have ever met & will take care of you :D

-Alex

3Pig

Both will be insane bright, both will probably be overspec, both will have great beam quality. The JL will have better heat sinking because there is simply more host, that will mean slightly longer duty cycle.

If I could import handhelds I would go for the JL because I like the host and the company, but laserbtb isn't bad either.

I am planning to buy a 532nm DPSS laser. I've narrowed my choices to two:

1. Laserbtb PL532 - 700, 700mW, $738
2. Jet Lasers PL-E Pro 532nm, 800mW, $730

1 has key lock, interlock, focus adjust, and is smaller.
2 has more rated power for about the same price

I like the features and compactness of 1, and I'm not a fan of the light saber look. But, 2 has higher claimed power. Can anyone offer advice or experience with either model that might help me decide?

Thanks.

Welcome! It might be a good idea to post in the welcome thread and add location to your profile (some insist on it ;-) ) - and perhaps say how experienced you are with lasers.

700mW is extremely dangerous - please ensure you have glasses. IF this is your first laser then even 50mW of 532nm/520nm will have a lovely bright beam in the dark (you will need more if you want to burn easily).

I personally like all the safety features, so of the two I would go with laserbtb. What I hate about not having safety features is I can't tell if it's already switched on or not and there's nothing (apart from glasses) that will safeguard me if it is on - i.e. there's a risk that when I'm putting the batteries in, that the laser will turn on unexpectedly! :eek: With the laserbtb host you not only have the key lock which you can tell if it's locked or not, but also the shutter should it activate unexpectedly.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
All of this helps, and is much appreciated.

My experience (as related to lasers), since the question was asked:

I've worked with lasers for about 37 years, starting with a Hughes 15mE HeNe laser, and my own home built sandbox optics lab, where I did experiments, and made holograms. I'm an electronics engineer, and manage a group of electrical, mechanical, and software engineers, working on (among other things) laser projectors and high power laser diode testing. I'm a certified laser lab safety officer.

All of this helps, and is much appreciated.

My experience (as related to lasers), since the question was asked:

I've worked with lasers for about 37 years, starting with a Hughes 15mE HeNe laser, and my own home built sandbox optics lab, where I did experiments, and made holograms. I'm an electronics engineer, and manage a group of electrical, mechanical, and software engineers, working on (among other things) laser projectors and high power laser diode testing. I'm a certified laser lab safety officer.

Wow tons of experience! Sorry about the power warning.

Definitely no need for apology. The more safety is brought to mind, the better.

I'm leaning toward the Lastbtb unit, but are there expander/collimators available that fit it? I could make one, but it's not cost effective unless I can scrounge some blemished lenses for free.

I'm leaning toward the Lastbtb unit, but are there expander/collimators available that fit it? I could make one, but it's not cost effective unless I can scrounge some blemished lenses for free.

I'm not aware of laserbtb having expanders, but just in case there's one in the works I've sent an email to Kevin (of laserbtb) to ask.

Jetlasers will have slightly better quality than Laserbtb (from what I hear) but Laserbtb will have some nice safety features which is almost a must for more powerful lasers.

Okay, I have yet another question: Does the Jet Lasers model have adjustable focus?

USAbro

The website makes no comment although I can't see a laser of that price being without one.

I used to have a 700mW PL-E mechanical, the predessesor of the PL-E pro. it was sort of focusable, but not as much as most custom lasers, or the laserbtb unit I have. however, the 445nm PL-E pro, and the 520 1W pro I have now, have acceptable focus-ability, so maybe the 532 will too. I'd get the jetlaser, due to easy Beam expander add on, and grey's superb customer service. the laserbtb unit has two safety features the jetlaser does not, a shutter and key, though they both can have a safety pin in the tail or maybe the head on the pro, not sure as I don't use that feature. if you get the jetlaser and want the safety pin feature on the tail cap (or head, whichever it is), make sure to ask, it comes disabled by default.

some other things the pro has over the laserbtb:

both momentary AND constant on buttons

AC input option

the pro can use bigger cells, namely 26650s, giving longer runtimes. I believe it can also run on either one or two cells. some pros can, some cant.

while the pro does not have a shutter, it does have a dust cap like a dragonlasers spartan. the newest generation caps from jetlasers (I just got one in the mail today) are far easier to grip and remove than the last generation

all that said, you'd probably be happy with either

Last edited: