Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mW Cat Toy

Davo

f22warzone said:
xp works ..... most of the time..... vista just dosent work ..... any of the time
70% of the time it works 100% ;D

Back on topic....

I shined my green laser over the neighborhood cat and it tried to catch the beam ;)

Oakwhiz said:
@brtaman
I got this prism-like plastic material from a craft junk store. It seems to be the same material you can use to make those cheap so-called 'holograms.' (the ones with 2 possible images) It splits the visible beam into two visible beams 45 degrees apart. (a Y shape) The two visible beams are the same brightness as the original beam :)
It makes for some cool effects.

[quote author=VillageIdiot link=1216495246/0#13 date=1216610444]Hey, I have Vista and it always works for me every time, it just eats your RAM, nom nom nom
pacman time! wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka weeeoooo weeeoooo weeoooo[/quote]

Yep, lasers begin to be really fun when some sort of optic instruments come into play.

Here is a small tip if you want an el-cheapo diffraction grating for some more beam splitting effects, if you have any ol' dead or unused digital camera (with an lcd screen), there is a line diffraction grating on or should I say in the screen (well behind it), makes for some pretty cool effects on the cheap, well on the cheap if you have a broken camera laying around otherwise it could well be the most expensive diff. grating possible :). Or you could try making a rog style spyrograph it makes for some pretty cool effects.

Jimmymc: I constantly have bats flying around but not touching the beams of my lasers when I shine them at night, its as if they are drawn to it, especially the blu-ray, never tried shinning at over a cat though lol was the cat successful?

Thanks
brtaman

Ace82

I use my 225 to play with my cats, and my dog... ;D

Actually, my blu-ray seems to be the dot of choice for all my pets to chase.

P.S. 50mW is too powerful for pet toy, but I wouldn't be too worried if you used it outside in the sunlight, just don't get it in their eye, or reflect it into their eye. Best to use 5mW.

brtaman said:
Jimmymc: I constantly have bats flying around but not touching the beams of my lasers when I shine them at night, its as if they are drawn to it, especially the blu-ray, never tried shinning at over a cat though lol was the cat successful?

Thanks
brtaman
Yes, When I shined the green laser (Only 5mW) a few inches over the cat when it was lying down, it quickly noticed the laser's beam and it did clasp it's hands over it ;D

hehe, cats do have quick reflexes ;D good thing is that it was in the 5mw range...not the 100mw range lol

Wish I still had a pet, like in the old days :-/

brtaman

my springer spaniel barely sees a green dot.

she chases the <5mw red, but not the <30mw green, though i dont like playing with the 30mw when she's around.

I had to move my laser setup out into the garage (well, I also needed more room) because my cats kept trying to reach up and "grab" the beam of my blue laser out of the air! That was too dangerous....but a 5mw greenie is great for cats - my WL Core works for that. Even at that low power they still try to grab the beam out of the air, but it's far safer.

One of my dogs is scared of my high-power greenie - if I shine it at the ceiling over his head and he looks up and sees it, he crouches down and slinks away, like the whole ceiling is about to fall on his head!

UMO

When I do play with my cats with a laser >5mW, I make sure I point it in front of them and from above so they don't turn around and get a blast or get a reflection off the floor just to be safe.

My cat can see my 5mw red and my 5mw greenie but he just to lazy to bother chasing it! ;D

LaserHead said:
My cat can see my 5mw red and my 5mw greenie but he just to lazy to bother chasing it! ;D

That's not a cat... that's a dog.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lasersbee said:
[quote author=LaserHead link=1216495246/20#27 date=1225057212]My cat can see my 5mw red and my 5mw greenie but he just to lazy to bother chasing it! ;D

That's not a cat... that's a dog.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/quote]

I don't think so...both my cats SEE the green dot, but don't care enough to move for it. My dog went crazy the first time he saw it, but figured it out after the first time where it came from...occasionally, though, at night he will bite at the beam to make me happy. He'll look up at the beam, look over at me, I'll tell him to get it, and he'll bark and jump up, then look at me again to make sure I saw it.

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1216495246/20#28 date=1225059490][quote author=LaserHead link=1216495246/20#27 date=1225057212]My cat can see my 5mw red and my 5mw greenie but he just to lazy to bother chasing it! ;D

That's not a cat... that's a dog.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/quote]

I don't think so...both my cats SEE the green dot, but don't care enough to move for it.  My dog went crazy the first time he saw it, but figured it out after the first time where it came from...occasionally, though, at night he will bite at the beam to make me happy.  He'll look up at the beam, look over at me, I'll tell him to get it, and he'll bark and jump up, then look at me again to make sure I saw it.

-Mark[/quote]
Its a Joke.... :p

I know it's a joke, I just had to tell my story. It's really funny. Maybe when I get my lasers back from jayrob (power testing, thanks jayrob!), I will film it.

-Mark