Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5 mW vs. 100+ mW 532 nm

This is for people with a 5 mW and a 100+ mW green laser and a fog machine.

I personally think that the 5 mW is a better shade of green then the 100 mW is when in fog. I think it looks more like a "true" green than the 100 mW green does in fog. Has anyone else experienced this?

Rhith

It does seem like this a bit. But I guess that's just because of over saturation that creates more of a lightsaber like beam then a true beam. I will have to check this out some more and take some pictures once I get time to go over to my neighbors and use his fog machine some more.

Milos

In my opinion its just optical effect.
What you experiencing is a nice calm green lighted fog of 5mW versus much brighter sparkling beam of 100mW+ 532nm that sometimes at higher powers appears very bright pale green- almost white.
My RPL outputs well over 400mW and its just too bright in the night or in the room with smoke, while it appears much nicer green beam in more lighted environment.
I think it's high contrast and excess reflections in medium(in case of smoke/fog) that make higher powered beams appear less of what we take for "real" green.