Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4w 940nm laser driver needed.

rojo

benmwv

This is a terrible idea. Do you realize how easily you could blind the person you are spying on? Or yourself? A 4W totally invisible laser is no joke. There is no blink reflex because you cant see the light. You need safety glasses for a laser like that. And something tells me you werent planning on giving your subjects safety glasses. Just because you were going to use it slightly unfocused doesnt make that ok. You should not gamble with other peoples eyesight.

I cant even describe how pissed off I would be if I found out someone was shining a 4W IR laser on me.

rojo

no no

this is not for spying a prson.

i have a project.

My client has a field of pears. He suffers greatly from the wild boar that destroy his crop. i lay ambushes to try too Understand the extent of the phenomenon. It's just a tool help me orient night in long ranges. I have night vision equipment but not good quality. Do not worry I have no intention to aim a laser to person.

benmwv

Ok well i feel a lot better about it now then! Sorry for jumping to conclusions, when you said PI I assumed it was people.

That power supply should work fine but I would set it 1amp or so below the diodes current. These cheapo dc-dc boards have pretty bad spikes at turn on so that should help protect the diode. It will also give you longer diode life and make less heat. Im sure it will still be more than enough power for your purpose too.

Definitely consider putting a visible led on there as well so you have an indicator that the laser is on, it may prevent some accident from happening.

Also you shouldn't use it on anything up close unless you get some safety glasses.