Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

473nm 100mw DPSS is not outputing

dear experts,
when i replaced a diode in my dpss 100mw 473nm with 1W 808nm IR diode,
my dpss is not outputing.
I have tried to align a diode since 1week, but no success.
If output power of pump diode is less what happened?
I dont have laser power meter, i assumed that its pump diode ouput power is 1W. I think if output power is less, atleast it should give output (may be very less). here i am not getting any output.
please help.

100mw of 473nm (at best) would need a 2W pump diode, or even a 2.5W diode...

Also, make sure your pump diode is actually lasing at 808nm.. not 810nm..

dear experts i am not able to get 2w to5 808nm CW laser diode. from where should i buy?
Wannaburn thanks for your earlier post, i have followed your instructions for alignment but i am not getting any output.
I have doubt that it might have 1.5W diode. from where should i get such odd diodes?
this DPSS has to5 9mm can diode. while in earlier post dpss having cmount diode. both dpss are different.

Last edited:

JLSE

Well if its a 9mm LD then its most likely gonna have to be a 1W and Heuru will only have off spec... I cannot find 2W in a 9mm type.

I have used his diodes for 532nm, and no offence intended, but they were crap. NONE were actual 808nm. There is a flood of these LD's floating on ebay with marker lettering on the rear of the diodes.. Im assuming you bought your 808 for 10$ too :banghead:

You need an LD from snoctony on ebay, or I can sell you one of mine.

Please add pics of the original LD and the replacement you bought...

Im afraid I cannot be of much help unless you add some pics.

Even with a 1W pump, you should still be getting some light, unless its not an 808.. This would be my guess.

Also, make sure your pump diode is actually lasing at 808nm.. not 810nm..

With any decent 808, this only becomes an issue if the LD is being pushed in its upper limits. An 808 is an 808 until it gets too hot or is seeing too much current.

Of all the 808's I have bought, this has never been an issue. It is even possible to pump with 836nm at 2% efficiency at best, where 808nm should yield up to 30% in a 532nm setup...

Either way, he should still be getting something. Even a 5mW output would confirm the rough alignment and that the pump is 808nm...

Last edited:
dear wannaburn,
I bought it from china with all the specification sheets.
my question is if diode is pumping then why it is not giving output?
if pumping power is less, why more than 1W CW diodes are not available in market?

Last edited:

JLSE

You can certainly find LD's greater than 1W, I have just never seen them sold in any other package than c mount... I have looked for 2W+ 9mm LD's for some time, but that doesnt mean they dont exist..

Have you confirmed the output of the 808? You are sure its outputting yes?

Also looking at the pics, it seems you have the orientation of the diode close to the original position. You have tried rotating it fully?

You should be getting something, unless the reason the laser stopped working was an issue with the crystal set.

If that is the case, position the 808 as default, and start looking at possible re alignment of the FAC optic and see if you can find another point to hit. If a crystal has been damaged, you may find another pint to hit.

If you can see the face of the crystals, use a good magnifier and look for any burned in spots or physical damage.

Also, the original LD you pulled out, did you test it to see if its actually dead?

Dear Experts,

structure of my dpss is like above.
steps done by me after replacing 1W diode.
-diodes is get rotated to match polarity.
-808nm+-5 wavelength is checked by lab test.
-crystal coating is very perfect.
-try to aligned by adjusting each and every parts.

questions:
if diode output power is less than required, atleast output should come to blue.
why output is not coming out?

why more than 1W 9mm to5 diodes are not available in the market?

Last edited:
Is the laser diode microlensed? This could be your problem., if you use a regular diode it will be an epic fail. I do have some 2w 808nm laser diodes in 9mm, they cost $25.00 and you'll get 2 of them. 2W is the maximum power that can be safely delivered in 9mm format.

My diodes are NOT all off spec, some of them are brand new old stock parts, while others are seconds, like the 25 diode grab bags for $25.00... If you want a prime new diode of recent mfr expect to pay about $100 from the ebay seller snoctony

To the OP.. Call me a scammer all you want- you never bought anything from me. If you are referencing the bash me threads, you will see the majority of the threads are by people who were jealous of my ebay sales and ability for find and sell stuff at reasonable prices.

JLSE

My diodes are NOT all off spec

Just stating my experience man... I bought 4 'grab bags' IIRC, and out of all those LD's, I could not find one to pump with. I had and still have approx 8 that will hit 1W, but useless in my applications.

When you first purchased that massive lot of Boston Laser stock, I asked to buy 808's for the sole purpose of pumping... These were also noted in the original sale thread as 808's in the grab bags not 'off spec'. It was said that either they would work, or just be horribly underpowered, or not work at all. All the c-mounts were dead, not one would light up.

Many people who bought "808"nm LD's from you, ended up reselling them on ebay (myself excluded) as 1W 808nm 9mm LD's. What followed was a rash of neg- feedback to those sellers, as the diodes they were now selling could not hit 1W, but were also useless for pumping.

808nm 1000 mw high power burning laser diode 1 watt - eBay (item 180548538239 end time Aug-23-10 17:09:41 PDT)

diodeburn.JPG

These LD's are easily identified by the markings on the rear of the diodes... So when I see somebody who needs to pump with a 9mm 808, I always throw that warning out. Im not saying that all of your diodes are off spec, but there is something there with the 9mm 808's that flooded the laser community.

Even on ebid, the same LD's that you included with my purchase (shorted pins via clip) are being sold as 808 for pumping...

808nm LASER DIODE for GREEN BLUE YAG DPSS YVO4 PUMPING on eBid United States
1280285772-25101-0.jpg

So, yes they were cheap to buy, and for 25$ a bag, no problem there, but I was quite disappointed with the wavelength being off.

I also received a '1W' 635nm c-mount as per request... That diode was brand new in a little plastic container labeled 1/2W 645 and can barely hit 200mW at 1.5A, with or without TEC.

You will have to excuse me when the subject of heruursciences diodes comes up and gives me cramps... :toilet:

Last edited: