Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

450nm 1w blue laser pointer batteries

I recently bought a 450nm 1w blue laser pointer.
In the package it included 5 star caps, 1 charger, 2 16340 batteries and the laser itself.

So i put the batteries into the charger and let them charge for approximately 4 hrs (enough for the red light on the charger to turn green)

However, when i turn on the laser, it starts off as a strong beam and slowly dies to nothing.

Is this a battery problem? Charger problem? Or should i go out and buy new 16340 batteries, cuz these ones seem dodgy, as they have no brand name on them

Teej

I recently bought a 450nm 1w blue laser pointer.
In the package it included 5 star caps, 1 charger, 2 16340 batteries and the laser itself.

So i put the batteries into the charger and let them charge for approximately 4 hrs (enough for the red light on the charger to turn green)

However, when i turn on the laser, it starts off as a strong beam and slowly dies to nothing.

Is this a battery problem? Charger problem? Or should i go out and buy new 16340 batteries, cuz these ones seem dodgy, as they have no brand name on them

They are probably fakes.

Try new ones that come from a reliable seller.

Food for thought, the laser might have over heated and died...and the batteries had nothing to do with it....or, both are crap, etc.

If you have a DMM, you can test the cells for example, just to see the voltage at least.

How can the laser overheat, i only used it for about 20 seconds in total with on and offs? lmao. alright ill go buy some ultrafire ones and test em.

Is there a way to determine if the charger is faulty maybe? It's a chinese one, but comes with an adapter to switch voltage etc..

Teej

How can the laser overheat, i only used it for about 20 seconds in total with on and offs? lmao. alright ill go buy some ultrafire ones and test em.

It can over heat that quickly if there's too little heat sinking, and/or the wires are too thin, or the solder too weak, etc.

And ultrafire are fake pretty much at most sources it seems. (ALL of the ones ending in ....fire, tend to be fakes.)

:D

Last edited:
Have you got a multimeter? Cells should be 4.2V after charging. If they drop to 3.0V quickly in the laser then your cells aren't up to much (which is the most likely scenario).

I recently tested a pair of new 16340 "880mAh" Ultrafires and one was 420mAh and the other 230mAh - needless to say I got my money back on those!)

link to the laser? itsounds like bad batteries, those that comes with lasers usually are garbage and thats why the laser dims probably not enough stable voltage from them.

Teej

They are probably fakes.

Try new ones that come from a reliable seller.

Food for thought, the laser might have over heated and died...and the batteries had nothing to do with it....or, both are crap, etc.

If you have a DMM, you can test the cells for example, just to see the voltage at least.

If it takes two cells, the internal resistance needs to be the same, to be safe/not explode, etc.

Hi guys, the batteries are LC 16340 1300mAh 3.7v.

They are blue unlabelled/brandless ones. When I charge them the green light goes on (meaning their full) and they drain in one second. What is the likeliness of the charger being faulty?

And also the first time I charged the batteries it was on the red light for about 2 hrs and finally turned green. And i tested for first time and the laser faded off... But anytime after that now, the batteries only charge on red light for about 5 minutes and then go green. Still fades off though^ Thanks in advance.

Yea those blue are really not good, if lucky u can get decent but it sounds they are totally crap. Charger might be crap too and not even charge them properly.

Does the mAh levels in the battery matter? When using it? As long as voltage is same it shoud be good?

mah only matter how long u can use the laser, if voltage is good then its good.

1300mAh seems unlikely for a 16340. I've got two genuine protected Trustfire 16340s and they are labelled as 880mAh and they test at 630mAh and 660mAh respectively, which is pretty decent for a cell of that size. From the vid it looks very much like your cells are at fault.