Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

404nm DPSS? 808nm into LBO crystal?

would it be possible to have a 404nm dpss laser by pumping a LBO crystal with 808nm light, i know this would be possible but will it be very efficient? if it is then i might look into making a high power 404nm dpss with a 500mW to 1 W diode and maybe even put it into an old greenie case :D i just have to get rid of the crystals in a greenie and put in an LBO crystal with the right coatings.

this probably isnt that efficient otherwise the blueray burners would be using something like this.

S

SenKat

Well, it isn't that efficient, but it may possibly be able to be done ! Blu-ray is a diode in of itself, as you found out ! :cool: With the invention of the blu-ray diode, I am sure most folks tossed aside the idea of dpss for 404nm, since a single diode is by far cheaper to produce...I have a 1watt 808nm fibre coupled diode if you are interested in pursuing this idea further....

Aseras

with the right cavity optics ( a nightmare right there ) you *might* get a few microwatts of 404nm emmision off of a 1 watt pump, that will be WAY overpowered by leaking IR. you'd need HR coatings to match the 808 and 404 ( and i don't know of anywhere that makes a 404nm reflective coating )

it can be done, I've seen some setups, but most are really out there, and novel, and have a HUGE learning curve. most also use some form of a ktp crystal as well. LBO really like 946nm, and even then by "like" we are talking 1-2% efficiency.