Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



4 PIN laser diode?

o_DEATH_ANG3L_o

New member
Joined
Sep 7, 2007
Messages
634
Points
0
So I tore apart my DVD burner and got the laser diode out. It has 4 PINS on it. Has anyone seen this before? What pins do I hook up to the power? If anyone can help me please let me know.
 



o_DEATH_ANG3L_o

New member
Joined
Sep 7, 2007
Messages
634
Points
0
Oh hey man you are from youtube. Great videos BTW. I dont have a camera to take a pic with. :-/ But yeah It looks like a normal laser diode and there are 4 PINS on it.
 

RobTheVIP

New member
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
618
Points
0
o_DEATH_ANG3L_o said:
Oh hey man you are from youtube. Great videos BTW. I dont have a camera to take a pic with. :-/ But yeah It looks like a normal laser diode and there are 4 PINS on it.
thanks man. that one vid is not good to follow ::), but the amount of views is pretty cool lol.

hmm. I would guess it looks like this? I have never seen one, I Just googled this ! Sorry man I have NO CLUE! :-/

 

Gazoo

Active member
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
3,199
Points
38
It is a player, not a burner. The diode will not do squat...sorry.
 

pseudonomen137

New member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
2,032
Points
0
They aren't very common, but occasionally you find 4 pin diodes. Normally there are 3 pin with a pin shared between the laser diode and photodiode. With a 4 pin diodes they are isolated. Unfortunately I can't tell you what pins do what on that diode, sorry.
 

paper183

New member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
220
Points
0
If it looks like the picture, you can see that one pin is actually connected to the casing, that is your ground or negative, and you need a multimeter with diode testing mode or ohmeter to test the pins and see which one works...
 

toked323

New member
Joined
Sep 1, 2007
Messages
1,591
Points
0
hey its not odd i found a like 12mm 10-pin laser diode in my old early 90's cd player and i dont know what the hell to do with it
 

-Witch-Doct0r-

New member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
25
Points
0
paper183 said:
If it looks like the picture, you can see that one pin is actually connected to the casing, that is your ground or negative, and you need a multimeter with diode testing mode or ohmeter to test the pins and see which one works...
How would you test the diode with a multimeter thats got a diode testing mode in it? And what would it do would it light the diode or give you a reading of what mw or ma it is or what ever? Sorry i am dumb! and inexperienced...  :p
 
S

SenKat

Guest
Sometimes, the newer 4 pin diodes will have combined IR and visible diode chips integrated into one package...that is how teh blu-ray diodes are, and the way the market could be heading for cheaper manufacturing costs...can you imagine an all in one diode that has blu-ray, red, Ir, Green, etc ? That would be pretty cool to see the technology progress that far !

G !
 

Daedal

New member
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
2,277
Points
0
SenKat said:
Sometimes, the newer 4 pin diodes will have combined IR and visible diode chips integrated into one package...that is how teh blu-ray diodes are, and the way the market could be heading for cheaper manufacturing costs...can you imagine an all in one diode that has blu-ray, red, Ir, Green, etc ? That would be pretty cool to see the technology progress that far !

G !
That will open the door for the "Handheld laser projector" Full with all the colors and everything needed to make it work... ;D Dreaming is only good 1/5 the time... ::)

--DDL
 

laserrod

New member
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
342
Points
0
Arrowsmith: "DREAM ON" :mad: ;D ;D ;D ;D

A neat toy to find in the attic.OOO
 

paper183

New member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
220
Points
0
-W|tch-Doct0r- said:
[quote author=paper183 link=1189190965/0#9 date=1189210865]If it looks like the picture, you can see that one pin is actually connected to the casing, that is your ground or negative, and you need a multimeter with diode testing mode or ohmeter to test the pins and see which one works...
How would you test the diode with a multimeter thats got a diode testing mode in it? And what would it do would it light the diode or give you a reading of what mw or ma it is or what ever? Sorry i am dumb! and inexperienced... :p[/quote]
Diode testing mode or simply ohmmeter (they are usually the same on the multimeter) will only tell you if current goes between the 2 pins you touch
 




Top