Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3D Printers and lasers

plexus

I got myself a 3D Printer (printrbot) last year. since then I have gotten competent with CAD such that if I need anything, I can usually design it up fairly quickly and print.

A couple things came to mind: first, I have a multi-line argon that I like to attach a diffraction grating to. i have a lens cap from wicked lasers with a decent glass grating it I like to use. but i have to tape it onto the aperture. well, no more tape!

the other thing was a case for my Ophir sensor that includes an integrated beam dump. when using the ophir with >500mw there is a fair amount of back splatter that is hard on the eyes without glasses. i wanted to create a case for the ophir with an integrated tripod mount and beam dump so i could set it up easier.

i also like to keep the laser a fixed distance from the ophir for a kind of standard. the dump i created was 150mm from the sensor surface but this was too hard to use, to get the laser straight down the tube. so opted for a smaller one. you will see the long on the printer and the final size i cut it down to.

the next project will be an adjustable labby stand.

ophir_printer.png

ophir_just_printed.png

ophir_case_side.png

ophir_case_front.png

argon_ophir_case.png

argon_aperture.png

argon_aperture_attach.png

argon_attach_close.png

argon_attach_diff.png

Ok what is your printer brand and model? I've been trying to find a decent one for awhile now. The possibilities with these are amazing.

plexus

I am using Printrbot +. I actually run the unofficial forum for these printers at Printrbot Talk Forum ? Index page. mine is heavily modified with upgraded parts. soon to come is a control panel to make the printer truly self contained (no need to connect to a computer). with the modifications its capable of some really nice prints. using it with the laser hobby, well, its going to be really helpful. i am sure we've all been through taping things together, using books or boxes to hold up our lasers, etc. with the 3D printer i can print precision things to hold, connect and stabilize my lasers. i can't wait to make some adjustable beds for my labbies.

This is great thing. I'll register over there and do some "light" reading. Thanks plexus.

plexus

My latest project: cases for those chinese labby set ups. its an aluminum block with a fan on the back connected to a driver board. these are designed for use in a projector. so i designed and printed out these cases. they press fit together and include a focus knob out the front (with a pointer). they work pretty well! i reversed the direction of the fans so they blow out. there is good air flow through the grate at the top and out the back. i'll post these on thingiverse at some point.

500mw 635nm, 400mw 405nm and 200mw 450nm single mode